mackeeper encryption freeze
    hey, i'm having a bit of a problem with mackeeper's encryption thingy. Every time i try to unlock my folder it freezes and that's it, no access. Any thoughts on this? Would be much appreciated.

Only thing i've done before it stopped working is install (and uninstall) bettertouchtool.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Encryption is always dangerous to use. And truthfully, unless you're working with very sensitive data, there's no need for it.

Having said the above, I'm sorry to tell you that MacKeeper is awful. It's been described as "junk ware" and is known to cause all sorts of problems. The best I can advise you is to completely remove it from your machine. You may have to live with whatever data loss it caused.

Hopefully you've been making backups with Time Machine or another program and can recover your data that way.

thanks for the quick reply! I didn't realize Mackeeper was so crappy until i read some of the threads here. The data wasn't all that important, i'm a musician and i just had some home recordings and videos which i can easily do again. I just dont want my friends & family to listen to them, guess i'm a little shy and overprotective of them Oh well...

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    And when you remove it use the uninstaller.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Just make sure you do not provide you password to anyone.

Also, do not allow anyone to use your computer while logged into your account.

Set up a separate account, or let friends use the Guest account, if you "must" let others use your computer. With a Guest account, they can't do anything that's going to screw with your computer, delete any sort of data by mistake, everything they did is gone and back to default the next time that account is opened.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Also choose a password that is actually impossible to guess for your coworkers or acquaintances or anyone else. This is basic stuff, but people often forget.

Thread Information