New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mail Application

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

swimm3r137

swimm3r137 is an unknown at this point

Question- Do you guys really feel adamant about using the mail app in OS X? Or a divine love for it in some way? I tried it when I first got my mac a couple macs back, but I can't find a good reason to drop gmail and switch to this permanently. The main reason, and maybe the only reason I can think of, is 1) I don't have a @me.com email address, thus I'm not tied to it and 2) If and when I don't have my laptop, I can't access it. I travel a bunch, so with any computer, I can access gmail on the run anywhere. I dunno...... Mail, I'm trying to love you, but it's just not working.... Anyone have any suggestions
or reasoning behind the madness???
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I have an Exchange server I connect to via Outlook. However, you can connect Mail to Gmail by enabling IMAP in Gmail. That way, you can use Mail app and still have access to the emails online from whatever computer you happen to be on.

You dont ever want to use POP3, as the email will not be accessible after it is downloaded.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

^^ What he said. I use the Mail app to view my Gmail. Super easy to set up and use. After so many years of working in an office, I'm used to a separate window for my e-mail (Outlook). So, have Mail open as a separate app and not using an internet browser makes more sense to me and helps me function more efficiently. You may find your needs and preferences dictate otherwise. Try it out and if you don't like it, you can delete the account, remove the Mail icon from the dock, and go back to web browser email.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
swimm3r137

swimm3r137 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
You dont ever want to use POP3, as the email will not be accessible after it is downloaded.
hmmm i always used pop.... Then again, im not very computer literate.
I was rather asking why people use mail vs gmail. I just feel its a bit counterintuitive.

what are the pros of using a mail application, such as "mail" vs just using gmail.com?
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

POP3 downloads to the local client and removes (without special settings set on the server side) the server copy. Because of this, you cannot see all your mail from different locations. However, IMAP sync's between server and client without moving either. Make changes on one, the changes are reflected across all clients.

People use mail clients like Outlook and Mail mostly for added features and ascetics. I use Outlook for the added security and features and having all mail, contacts, calendar functions in one app...

It comes down to personal choice.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Not entirely true. Provided you do not tell mail to remove messages from the server they can usually be accessed direct on line from your ISP server. However, not all ISPs have that option. I happen to use GMail which does keep the messages on its server.

But as member Deckyon recommended, it's always better to use IMAP.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

There isn't really a benefit unless you use some of the features in the client. In fact, some features such as archiving your emails can't be done through an email client (I'm referring to GMail's archiving, not create a local archive). Honestly, it's up to you - if you feel more comfortable with the web client, stick with it. I have it pinned as a tab so that it always remains open on the far left hand side so it is always accessible.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

A desktop client can integrate with other desktop applications in ways that the web interface can't. The "mail this document" commands in Pages and Excel and, the "mail photo" button in iPhoto, iCal event invitations, and mailto: links all work as designed. It can respond to and trigger AppleScripts. It has an icon in the Dock that you can drag things to to create messages.

A desktop client can show you cached mail when our internet connection is down.

A single desktop client can work with all your mail accounts, eg. personal and school or work email, and show your mail all in one place with shared address books.

And keep in mind, using Mail doesn't mean you can't use the Gmail web interface, or vice versa. Once you've set Mail up, you can use it as much or as little as you like.
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

If you are a Gmail user you might want to try out Sparrow.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mackeeper encryption freeze | Internet connection to Steam not working »