New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iMovie keeps crashing....Can someone help me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stefanjames

stefanjames is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I don't know why my iMovie keeps crashing. I deleted it off my computer and paid $14.99 for the updated version. When I click to open it up it still crashes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stefan
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Repair permissions, trash the iMovie plist and try using another account and see if the problem persists.
QUOTE Thanks
stefanjames

How would i do this?
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Repair permissions with Disk Utility which is in Home Folder>Applications>Utilities. The plist is a Preference file found in Home Folder>Library>Preferences. Look for something like com.apple.imovie.plist. Just move it/them to the trash.

Make another account in System Prefernces>Accounts, then try and use iMovie in that account.
QUOTE Thanks
stefanjames

Didn't work when I repaired permissions and deleted the imovie plist. But it did work when I created another separate account. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Kamilla

Kamilla is on a distinguished road

I have been having the same problem and spoke today with a rep from Apple Care. Here's what he told me. Quit iMovie; go to Computer > Movies and move the iMovie Projects folder to the desktop. Open iMovie; create a new test project using film footage from the Event Library. Try to export it or to do whatever you were doing when it crashed (selecting Titles below a certain row in the Titles window made mine crash as well as exporting). If you do these things and iMovie does not crash, the problem is being caused by a corrupted movie project. (Although the rep wouldn't say so, iMovie is causing the corrupting--and the problem lies with the titles--more on this below.) Just having a corrupted project in the Project Library will make the program crash, even if you are working on a new project. You have to rebuild your file piece by piece, seeing if it exports after each addition to see if the new addition is causing the problem (choose tiny movie because it's quicker). I managed to retrieve all the edited video plus transitions by clicking on a film clip in the corrupted project and selecting all and copying it and importing into a new project (though in between, I had to open and close iMovie to drag that corrupted project back to the desktop because it kept crashing). I discovered that one particular kind of title--Organic Main-- was making the project and program crash--not all of the titles. When I tried to add it back to the rebuilt project, it crashed; when I went to the old file that was corrupted and tried to delete that title, it crashed. When I tried to delete the clip that had that title on it in the old project, it crashed. The transitions I used worked fine (though not sure if all of them would). Music, photos, film clips, etc. all fine. The problem lies with iMovie and it needs a fix! But I was able to rebuild my project--minus the style of title I like--and export it using this method.
QUOTE Thanks
Nick1895

Nick1895 is on a distinguished road

A big thanks for sharing. I removed my movie files in the way you suggested and the crashing stopped.
QUOTE Thanks
sespe

sespe is on a distinguished road

I don't think I want to make movies that bad. I tried a few things without success. On 10.8 you can not just go to your Library any more. I forget how to get into it now.

When I tried to update iMovie as suggested I sent to the App Store and downloaded the update. Then I got this alert...

The version of iMovie installed on this Mac must be updated through the Mac App Store. Check the Mac App Store to see if an update is available.

Same story with iPhoto.

So...iMovie and iPhoto will not work with Mountain Lion and neither can be updated. Is that the story?
QUOTE Thanks
kyladevi

kyladevi is on a distinguished road

I discovered that one particular kind of title--Organic Main-- was making the project and program crash--not all of the titles.

I had added Organic Main to a project, kept crashing, and crashed when exporting. Removed it, and it exported just fine. YAY!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!

Then, silly me, I tried Organic Lower in a different project. It also made iMovie crash. But even worse was I could not delete the title, every time I tried it crashed (and I tried every way I could think of!) So I dragged the iMovie Projects folder onto desktop, then opened iMovie (no old projects visible), then dragged just that one project back into Movies/iMovie Projects, and opened it. This time I was able to remove title without crashing, and then exported just fine without crashing. THANK YOU!!

I don't know if I'll be keen to use iMovie again once i've finished this project.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pages '09 language issues | ShoutCast TV directory in VLC »