New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Offline viewing of iTunes movie rental?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trolle

Trolle is on a distinguished road

I did not find anything recent on the boards regarding offline viewing of iTunes movie rentals.

I have only rented a movie once on iTunes and I was connected to the Internet the whole time. Now I am going on an overnight ferry ride and would like to watch a movie.

Should I start the viewing process with an Internet connection to start the 24-hour countdown?
Or, can I start the 24-hour countdown while offline (probably not, but better to ask)?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yes, you need to start the movie while you have net access.

Have read several reports from discontented travelers that did not. You just get a message saying you're not connected to the internet.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Yes, you need to start the movie while you have net access.

Have read several reports from discontented travelers that did not. You just get a message saying you're not connected to the internet.
I never had a problem with this. I actually just did it a few weeks ago on a flight back home from Seattle. As long as you've downloaded the movie to your iPad, you shouldn't need net access.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

I had also read many posts that said you had to start the process online, however they were a few years old.

I am leaving on Friday. I'll test it out and let you know if you have to be online. Strange that the support page from Apple does not make this clear.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yes indeed, it has been quite awhile since I've heard anything pertaining to this. So, it very well may not be a requirement any longer.

It could also be a different requirement for the iPad vs iTunes on a notebook. Just don't know.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

Just started playing a rented movie with Airport turned off. No problem at all, so it is possible to start playing a rented movie while offline.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Display Date with GeekTool | Safari can’t connect to the server »