New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

My iMac does NOT recognise Onyx

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dero

dero will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive

Go figure...
I go to Titanium Software (the site) to download a version of Onyx and before it starts the installement,(yes, the file was downloaded) a window opens and says,
" Mac does not recognise this application."
That does not inspire much confidence, if you ask me...
Has this happened to anybody else?
I find it odd, because I hear nothing but good things about Onyx.

What to do?

* adendum Sorry, I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.7, iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive

My happy Macstable
iPod Touch 4th Gen 32Gb
21'5 iMac , 4GB, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz,
1 Terra HDD
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try opening it again and get the exact error message.
I'd like to see a screen shot of that window.

And you shouldn't be downloading "a" version of Onyx, you need to download the Snow Leopard version.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What version of OnyX did you download? The latest version is 2.2.6 which is for 10.6 and later.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Be SURE you downloaded the correct version for Snow Leopard. There are other versions and they would not work on 10.6.
QUOTE Thanks
dero

Mac Specs: iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive

OK, need to be more specific...
I did download "THE" Snow Leopard version and yes it was indeed the 2.2.6 verion.
Hehe...
I will try again tomorrow and do a screenshot of THAT window...

My happy Macstable
iPod Touch 4th Gen 32Gb
1 Terra HDD
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Before you try to install it again, download a fresh copy of OnyX 2.2.6 and try with that. It's possible your first download was corrupt.
QUOTE Thanks
dero

Things are ok in the land of iMac, it must have been a corrupted file that I downloaded from Titanium the other day, like suggested, I downloaded THE Onyx version 2.6.6 for Snow Leopard OS X version 10.6.7 (hehe) and the snow leopard appeared on my desktop!!!
still reading about it...
Any recommendations as to how to configure it and whatnots?

Thanx in advance to ya'll.

My happy Macstable
iPod Touch 4th Gen 32Gb
1 Terra HDD
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK, glad you got it sorted out. As for instructions, just open the OnyX help file. He also includes small quips and helps that you can see as you select each option. It's really very easy to use and will not harm your machine.
QUOTE Thanks
John T

John T will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21.5in iMac

Don't forget, you don't need to do the the daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts because these are done automatically by your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
dero

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
Don't forget, you don't need to do the the daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts because these are done automatically by your Mac!
Cheers, you read my mind...

My happy Macstable
iPod Touch 4th Gen 32Gb
1 Terra HDD
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Not sure about Oynx but i use MainMenu the Paid for edition (you can still get it for free here), and if it has the same sort of tasks to execute then i would recommend to uncheck Spotlight Re-indexing and Remove .DS_Store Files.
With the Spotlight Re-indexing if you have a big HD and Library it could take hours upon hours to complete. The main reason i uncheck it. I only do do it usually after a big library has been added and over night. Just a thought

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The three Chron Scripts only run if you leave your Mac on all the time. If you do not, you still should have Onyx or Main Menu run them.
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Also once Onyx is running, ctrl+alt+click under the onyx icon in the toolbar to enable a hidden menu.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
The three Chron Scripts only run if you leave your Mac on all the time. If you do not, you still should have Onyx or Main Menu run them.
Or a cheap little utility called Macaroni. Runs the scripts automatically. Only $9.99!

http://www.atomicbird.com/macaroni

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgeist View Post
Also once Onyx is running, ctrl+alt+click under the onyx icon in the toolbar to enable a hidden menu.
This guy is talking PC.
How soon you forget... (Ok, I'm talking of myself.)

Which one is alt and, are you calling the dock or the application folder,
"the toolbar"?

My happy Macstable
iPod Touch 4th Gen 32Gb
1 Terra HDD
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to delete old mac mail acct? | Dock light indicators? »