New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mysterious, giant Time Machine backup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

babydodo

babydodo is on a distinguished road

The Mac is backing up using TM, for 46GB according to the icon in my menu bar. I'm wondering, why is it so humongous? Here is what I know:

1. This is NOT the 1st backup. We've had the MacBook, running TM, for two years.
2. The last successful backup was about 8 hours ago (because it wanted to make such a gigantic backup, I turned TM off until bedtime).
3. A big source of giant backups, per Google, is big files that get small changes. Do we have any? I'm not sure. We do NOT use parallels, VMWare, or any such software. We do not have home movies or other types of video files. What is on the MacBook? It is my wife's only computer. She surfs the 'net, organizes pictures, and listens to music. This gives a 30GB iTunes library and a similarly sized iPhoto library (plus some web history, but she's no junky). Neither iPhoto nor iTunes changed today, unless looking at pictures and playing music counts. What other typical sources of "large files" are there, and how might I search for files by size to find them?
4. I backup to a Time Capsule
5. I also previously used a 30GB piece of the time capsule for storing extra files. I deleted those files today, and thought maybe they found their way into the MacBook's trash and that was causing the problem. But Google told me Time Machine excludes the trash (to the dismay of whomever's thread I stumbled upon...)
6. Ummm?

How on Earth could I need to do a 46GB backup when nothing happened on the machine since the last reported successful backup (I checked - 14:42 this afternoon) except some web surfing and deleting files off an external hard drive (the TC)? What culprit am I missing to bog down an incremental backup update when we don't have VM's and virtual hard drives or giant video files that are being edited?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

What's actually on the hard drive? Sometimes files and folders are hidden which can be fairly large. Why don't you download the free Disk InventoryX and find out what exactly is on the drive....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cod4 not starting up | What personl finance app do you use? »