New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Rerouting iTunes to Another Account on Same iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frankdigiacomo

frankdigiacomo is on a distinguished road

I have an iMac running 10.6.7 (2.8 GHZ Intel Core Duo) that has three accounts on it: my wife, my son's and mine. My account is where the iTunes master library is found, although the music is actually stored on a 2TB LaCie external hard drive.

Over the last few months, my son has begun building his own iTunes library that, I fear, is eating up precious iMac hard drive space. What I'd like to do is simply reroute the master iTunes library from my account to his account.

Can someone walk me through how I'd do that without completely messing things up? My sense is that I'd first need to completely delete whatever my son has on his iTunes, but maybe there's also a way to remove dupes?

Thank you.

Best,

FD
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I'm sure someone else will jump in here with some better suggestions, but you might want to look at iTunes Home Sharing instead of your idea.

Take a look at this Apple KB article describing Home Sharing. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

iTunes home Sharing wont make any difference if you want to save internal hard drive space however. what i would do is move the music his account onto the hard drive (but not in the itunes media folder, just on the root of that drive) then delete his library from the computer, then set the external's media folder as the library source in his new library. then reimport all his music (making sure that consolidate files is turned on in itunes preferences.) this should make a copy of the music inside "itunes media" on your external drive, then you can delete the ones at the root.

hopefully that makes sense, i got quite confused myself writing it.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
hopefully that makes sense, i got quite confused myself writing it.
LOL Must be that new avatar.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
LOL Must be that new avatar.
must be...

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
frankdigiacomo

frankdigiacomo is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been traveling and off the grid. Thank you all for the help. Going to give this a go and will report back.

Best,

FD
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quickbooks registration/operating problem | Iphoto '08 will not print... »