New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Program for finding wireless signals on MacBook Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

D300

D300 is on a distinguished road

I just picked up a MacBook Pro after a number of years of using a G4 laptop.

When on the road with my G4, I had a program called MacStumbler that helped locate wireless signals.

If I read correctly MacStumbler does not work with a MBP. (Is that correct?)

Are there any programs to do this function on the MBP? I know you can use the airport drop down menu. However, MacStumber was a hands free device with sounds that indicated when a signal was found. You could leave it on the seat and drive.

Any programs like that for the MBP?

D300
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

There are some,
http://istumbler.net/ is free and is pretty good. No sounds though.

EDIT: Wait! It has growl support and you can configure it in the growl preferences that it plays a sound when it finds a signal.

AirRadar 2 - Advanced Wireless Network Scanner has a nice user interface but isn't worth the 19$ IMO

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I don't use those kinds of utilities often but the first one that comes to mind is http://istumbler.net/. There are probably other similar utilities out there but that one works well on my MacBook Pro with SnowLeopard. I don't remember for sure if it uses a sound to notify you that it has located a network or not. I use it mainly as a convenient way to gather some information about my wireless network at home.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

@MacYukon

Judging from your first post in this thread In guess it's not cold enough to keep you from typing faster than I do.

QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

Nope

Actually I'm sitting here in my T-Shirt.
When you get 41 F after 4 months of -13 F it's like a heat wave!

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Compared to what you have been getting that must feel positively sweltering. We are in the mid 50s F tonight.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Skype says no to working on a private network | Help! uninstall Senuti App. »