New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

More frustration...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TOYOTA

TOYOTA will become famous soon enough

So when I was pondering about whether or not to make the switch to Apple a few months ago, one of my biggest things was I did not want to have any problems concerning compatibility. It is very annoying to me when everything is harder to do with my Mac as opposed to my friends PC's. Now don't get me wrong, I love the machine, but I get extremely frustrated with things like "we could not open the application because there is no specified application to open this with, etc".

My roommate got pictures developed yesterday and also got them on a CD so he could put them on his computer. He puts the CD into his PC laptop and everything is extremely easy, picture viewing, saving, etc. I put the CD into my PB, and I am able to view the pictures, but I can do nothing else. When I try to save the pictures it says the picture could not be saved... and when I tryed to open the Wal-Mart or AutoRun things it says that those cannot be opened, so basically I cannot put the pictures onto my laptop. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Like I said, I love these machines, I just hate having to deal with this type of thing, when every PC I work with these problems never happen. Thanks again.

Richard
iPhone
Powerbook 15
Powerbook 17
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Are the picture files on the cd when you look at in it in Finder? If they are, just highlight them and drag them into the main window in iPhoto. Or if you don't have iPhoto you can also just drag them to your desktop.

Usually the only time it's harder to do stuff on the Mac is when you try to keep thinking about the more difficult way of doing it on Windows and try to do that on your Mac. The simplest thing possible is always what works on a Mac.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYOTA
So when I was pondering about whether or not to make the switch to Apple a few months ago, one of my biggest things was I did not want to have any problems concerning compatibility. It is very annoying to me when everything is harder to do with my Mac as opposed to my friends PC's. Now don't get me wrong, I love the machine, but I get extremely frustrated with things like "we could not open the application because there is no specified application to open this with, etc".

My roommate got pictures developed yesterday and also got them on a CD so he could put them on his computer. He puts the CD into his PC laptop and everything is extremely easy, picture viewing, saving, etc. I put the CD into my PB, and I am able to view the pictures, but I can do nothing else. When I try to save the pictures it says the picture could not be saved... and when I tryed to open the Wal-Mart or AutoRun things it says that those cannot be opened, so basically I cannot put the pictures onto my laptop. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Like I said, I love these machines, I just hate having to deal with this type of thing, when every PC I work with these problems never happen. Thanks again.
It sounds like you are still thinking Windows, and not that used to the Mac yet.
If you wanted to copy the pictures, all you would need to do is drag and drop. You should be able to bring up the CD's contents in a Finder window, then drag and drop them to your Mac. Its that simple. You don't need an "autorun" or other .exe program, those are for Windows only.

Now as far as compatibility, I have yet to find anything that I can do on a Windows machine that I can't do on a Mac (with the exception of some games). It sounds like you are maybe just trying to continually run Windows apps or files in a Mac world.

EDIT: Looks like schweb beat me to the punch! :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Redbrick

Redbrick is on a distinguished road

I kinda agree with Toyota's premise about the little things that frustrate you because you can't do it with mac as easily as you could with windows.

In my case for instance would be identifying a sharepoint...it's easy on a PC but not a MAC...if it weren't for the freeware sharepoints...I'd be screwed in trying to learn Samba... Even after reading all I could find, it still didn't work quite right.. but that's just one case....others are like surfing the web and clicking on a streaming videos not playing the way they easily do on the PC. I've got more of little things like this that are on my list to do...

I've kinda come to terms with all this though...and accept that a MAC is just not a PC...and having moved to several countries....you just have to suck it up and learn to adapt.... I love my Powerbook...but I'm still finding my way about this beastie.

I also recognize the market domination Windows has...ah well....what's next...

:baron:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCal | Virtual PC 7 & tiger »