New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Old game problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MyName

MyName is on a distinguished road

Hi there.

I'm relatively new to running a Mac. I used to have a Windows PC and used to play a game called Return To Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. On my Mac it played the first time after I installed it, but now, even after reinstalling, the screen just goes black when I try to play the game and I can't then do anything.

I own a MacBook Pro, Intel Core i5.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
MyName

Just to add, I have downloaded a Mac version of the game. I'm not trying to run an Exe file.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

I have it on my machine and it runs real well. Which version did you download? Because only the shareware version which has been recompiled for the Mac will run. The full version will not. And it's not an *.exe file.

Below is info for the game:

Wolf4SDL by Moritz "Ripper" Kroll (Chaos-Software)
Original Wolfenstein 3D by id Software (id Software)

Wolf4SDL is an open-source port of id Software's classic first-person shooter Wolfenstein 3D to the cross-plattform multimedia library "Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL)" (Simple DirectMedia Layer). It is meant to keep the original feel while taking advantage of some improvements mentioned in the list below.
QUOTE Thanks
MyName

Thanks for those links. Can't wait to play the port
This is the version I have been trying to install though. This is the stand alone on-line multi player version of the game
Enemy Territory (Mac) Download, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Official Releases
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I have it on my machine and it runs real well. Which version did you download? Because only the shareware version which has been recompiled for the Mac will run. The full version will not. And it's not an *.exe file.

Below is info for the game:

Wolf4SDL by Moritz "Ripper" Kroll (Chaos-Software)
Original Wolfenstein 3D by id Software (id Software)

Wolf4SDL is an open-source port of id Software's classic first-person shooter Wolfenstein 3D to the cross-plattform multimedia library "Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL)" (Simple DirectMedia Layer). It is meant to keep the original feel while taking advantage of some improvements mentioned in the list below.
Woah... thanks for posting this

EDIT : could you provide me with instructions on how to run Wolf4SDL? I'm a bit clueless with this SDL software.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
could you provide me with instructions on how to run Wolf4SDL? I'm a bit clueless with this SDL software.
It's really very easy. Once you get it installed, it will run just like any other game with the exception that it will take over the full screen. If you have any memory of how it ran in DOS, it will look and run the same way. Don't expect the video to be of high quality, but for an ancient DOS game, it looks pretty good. And it's fun. Brings back many memories.
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
It's really very easy. Once you get it installed, it will run just like any other game with the exception that it will take over the full screen. If you have any memory of how it ran in DOS, it will look and run the same way. Don't expect the video to be of high quality, but for an ancient DOS game, it looks pretty good. And it's fun. Brings back many memories.
Indeed! Blasting nazis away at my grandparent's home as a little kid, back when afternoons seemed to last forever.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Syncopation bug... Last Played timestamp | imovie help! »