New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

A few questions regarding Time Machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Hi,

1. Using the regular and automatic hourly and daily backups is not convenient for me, and I end up doing backups at highly irregular intervals. Will this cause problems once the backup disk is full and Time machine has to delete older backups? Is there any risk that Time Machine will accidentally delete vital data?

2. Is there a way to set aside space on a hard disk so that it will not be used up by Time Machine backups? I use a single disk for everything, and I need to keep empty parts of if the need to store files arises in the future.

thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I'll give this a shot and let the smarter people come along and clean it up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgeist View Post
Hi,

1. Using the regular and automatic hourly and daily backups is not convenient for me, and I end up doing backups at highly irregular intervals. Will this cause problems once the backup disk is full and Time machine has to delete older backups? Is there any risk that Time Machine will accidentally delete vital data?
I don't use Time Machine hourly either - it's not a problem. The second part of your question - yes - Time Machine will eventually start to overwrite it's backups once the disk is full - but you can set it (it is by default) to prompt you for permission before it overwrites the data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgeist View Post
2. Is there a way to set aside space on a hard disk so that it will not be used up by Time Machine backups? I use a single disk for everything, and I need to keep empty parts of if the need to store files arises in the future.

thanks in advance
I'm assuming you're using an external HDD for your TM backups? - yes - you can partition a drive and designate that partition to be used just for Time Machine. That's what I have currently although I'm planning to migrate to a NAS solution soon.
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the quick reply, could you provide me with instructions on how to partition a drive or more details on what you refer to as NAS.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

It's super simple these days - just mount the drive you want to partition and use Disk Utility - it does all the work for you. Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Partitioning a disk

The simple version of a NAS solution is Time Capsule. Whatever I setup will have similar functionality so reading this should give you the idea of what I'm talking about. Time-Capsule-2TB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes 10.2 Now Available | Help with media streaming »