New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iPhoto help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rikkin

rikkin is on a distinguished road

I accidentally deleted iPhoto from my Macbook, so I just bought the new one from the app store.
I tried to open it, but it won't load at all, or add any pictures.
Help?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What kind of errors are you getting if any, and what happens when you try to open it? When you downloaded it from the App store did it place an icon in your Dock?

Also, when you say you accidentally deleted iPhoto from your MacBook, are you sure you deleted it and not just the icon on your Dock? In order to delete iPhoto, you would have had to open the Applications folder and delete it from there.
QUOTE Thanks
rikkin

Yes, once I downloaded it, it immediately placed the icon on my dock. The problems are... well everything! When it opens, the white swirling loading sign just stays on there in the middle of the screen. I'm not able to add any photos to it or do anything at all. Plus, if I click on the "create" button or any of the buttons in the lower right corner, it shuts off and says it "quit unexpectedly".

But yes, I definitely deleted it. It is no where to be found. I deleted it from the applications folder and accidentally emptied the trash.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like remnants of the old iPhoto that you deleted may still be present and possibly causing a conflict. What version did you delete? The iPhoto you downloaded from the App store is the latest from the iLife suite.

iPhoto installs folders with files in other places besides the Applications folder but I would have thought the new copy you downloaded would overwrite what was already there. Maybe not?

I was going to suggest deleting it again and download another copy from the App store but I'm not sure they won't charge you again.
QUOTE Thanks
TrueTone911

TrueTone911 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 320GB HD, 4GB Ram, OSX 10.6.7

rikkin, I apologize for the obvious question but...Is your system backed up at all? I'm guessing that would be the first thing you thought of but I had to ask.

No hum, no buzz, no problem.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
I was going to suggest deleting it again and download another copy from the App store but I'm not sure they won't charge you again.
If you've bought an App from the App Store, you can download it again free of charge.
QUOTE Thanks
rikkin

I deleted iPhoto '09.
Where would I possibly find the remnants of the old one? I've looked everywhere.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkin View Post
I deleted iPhoto '09.
Where would I possibly find the remnants of the old one? I've looked everywhere.
Look here:

MacIntosh HD/Library/Application Support/iPhoto/

MacIntosh HD/Applications/iPhoto.app/

MacIntosh HD/Library/Receipts/

You can delete the entire folder of the first two, however, the Receipts folder only delete what pertains to iPhoto.

Also search your user folder and delete any preference files pertaining to iPhoto. (plist files) You shouldn't have to delete the iPhoto library but as long as you have a backup of your photos, you can do that also.
QUOTE Thanks
rikkin

Thank you! I deleted all iPhoto files. Now I'm going to re-download it from the app store.
QUOTE Thanks
rikkin

I deleted all the remnants of the old iPhoto and re-downloaded it. No luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Replace characters | Face Time »