New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari's "mouse gestures" extension doesn't fully work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

So I was searching around for a way to browse w/Safari in full screen mode, which apparently Apple hasn't deemed a worthy feature, when I discovered that there was an update to one of Safari's extensions. Mouse gestures". I got really excited about it because my first thought was: "they must have updated the gestures to include a swipe to top and bottom!"

And I was right! But, even after restarting the browser, it seems that either it doesn't work, or I'm a bit daft ? I've even tried changing it to a different gesture such as "create new tab" (for swipe up) and "close active tab" (for swipe down) Those gestures don't work for me either.

Stupid question but... These gestures ARE performed with 3 fingers, right? I'd assume yes, because swipe left and right work just fine with 3. Has anybody tried this yet ?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

I must be daft also, can't make head nor tails how it works.
One thing though, it's mouse gestures yet you want to use 3 finger trackpad gestures?

Is this the correct extension?
Download Safari 5 Mouse Gestures for Mac - Adds basic mouse gestures to Safari 5. MacUpdate.com

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Haha. I AM daft! I guess I just assumed that the label "mouse" was kind of generic since technically speaking, the same "mouse gestures" which I use in Firefox, also work just the same with my trackpad(s).

Confirmed. I just hooked up my BT mouse and it does work. Too bad I find using a mouse a terrible way to navigate now that I have a Magic Trackpad. Pretty lame extension IMO. I hope they update it. Guess I'm not terribly upset in general though, after checking out the memory usage with Safari vs. FF. Safari just gobbles memory up from the get go. What's up with that?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

I don't know why Safari does this, it takes up 600+ MB here to.

As for Safari swipe to top and bottom, I use.
Download BetterTouchTool for Mac - Customize gestures on your MacBook. MacUpdate.com

This application is a bit weird, you double click the application to start the background process, then you double click it again to open its preferences.
And don't command+q when you want to close it's window, it quits the background process also. Which means your gestures will not work. So just click the windows close button when closing it's window.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
I don't know why Safari does this, it takes up 600+ MB here to.
I have had mine as high as 1.2GB once where BB swirling all the time. A quit every 4 hrs i found helps. Painful though. Im sure vansmith could have a answer for us as i think i have seen him post something about it before. He uses Opera i think from memory.
I love Safari otherwise

And thanks for that link too McYukon

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Interesting that you guys are ok with the memory usage which has no logical reasoning behind its existence. I don't see any real life advantages in using Safari other than aesthetics vs FF or Chrome or Opera.

I should have also said don't bother with Better Touch Tool, as I find it redundant, and to be yet another wasted resource. This "feature" should simply exist in Safari by default. This is also why I don't use tools like Pathfinder or those other Finder alternatives. I don't like using more resources than necessary, kind of an OCD thing for me.

I wonder though, if there isn't a way to customize certain aspects of safari much like how you would with FF's "about:config" function. I've already looked at the contents of the Safari app folder and looked in the .plst file, but I don't see anything useful there. Nor in any of the other places. Though i could have missed something.

My only wish for FF is that it was as light as Chrome and that it integrated with OS X as well as Safari. I've got it looking close enough, but it just lacks that little bit that makes Safari look so streamlined. I only use Safari when developing though, to make sure my site looks the same in it, as it does in FF. Won't use Chrome, because I'm not digging Google's information raid. It's about the only reason I'd consider stop using Android, as well.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Automator - how do I..... | Online video won't play, Chrome says "missing plugin" »