New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Online video won't play, Chrome says "missing plugin"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

seanje

seanje is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.16 GHz 4GB

On any browser. YouTube, ESPN, nothing.

I reinstalled Flash, I disabled every plugin (in Chrome) individually, testing after each. It's not my computer, so I don't have any other theories into what could have went wrong, and when, so I'm sort of in the dark here. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Chrome has it's own version of flash it uses so could you try the following?
Quote:
I am unable to view Flash content. How do I get Flash Player to turn on?

It's possible that you could have disabled Flash Player in Chrome. To re-enable it:

Type “about:plugins” (without the quotation marks) into the address bar at the top of a Chrome browser window.
Click “Details” at the upper-right corner of the page.
Find the “Flash” (or “Shockwave Flash”) listing on the Plug-ins page and click the corresponding “Enable” button.
Close all Chrome windows and restart the browser.
Use Flash Player with Google Chrome
If that doesn't work either, try deleting the Chrome application and reinstalling it.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
seanje

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
Chrome has it's own version of flash it uses so could you try the following?

If that doesn't work either, try deleting the Chrome application and reinstalling it.
I have tried both already, neither works. Anyways, I can't view videos in any browser, not just Chrome, as I said above.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

In Chrome, Pref -> Under the Hood -> Content settings.

Make sure everything is set to the "recommended" settings, especially Javascript. Also, anti-banner ad plugins can hamper flash plugins as well. Lastly, disable all extensions/addons.
QUOTE Thanks
seanje

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
In Chrome, Pref -> Under the Hood -> Content settings.

Make sure everything is set to the "recommended" settings, especially Javascript. Also, anti-banner ad plugins can hamper flash plugins as well. Lastly, disable all extensions/addons.
Just checked, they are all set to "recommended", and I tried messing with the add-ons, nothing there. I checked my plugins again, though, tried to see what they all did. I found one that, when I googled it, "Verified RoveSupa plugin", I got some results that talked about at Mac trojan. This is all I have to go on i seems right now, so I'm running iAntiVirus.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Is Flash recognized by your browsers? If the issue occurs across browsers, it sounds as if there is something wrong with your Flash install. Although, as McYukon notes, Chrome ships with it's own version of Flash. Nonetheless, are the required Flash files in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins (Flash Player.plugin and flashplayer.xpt)?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
seanje

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Is Flash recognized by your browsers? If the issue occurs across browsers, it sounds as if there is something wrong with your Flash install. Although, as McYukon notes, Chrome ships with it's own version of Flash. Nonetheless, are the required Flash files in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins (Flash Player.plugin and flashplayer.xpt)?
Both are there, yes
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute

Even though Flash is built into Chrome, I'm curious for you to try out the Flash Uninstaller, then continue to reinstall it again.

Have you tried another user account or creating new one?

EDIT: Also try putting it in Incognito and check, then it might be a cache issue.
QUOTE Thanks
seanje

Quote:
Even though Flash is built into Chrome, I'm curious for you to try out the Flash Uninstaller, then continue to reinstall it again.

Have you tried another user account or creating new one?

EDIT: Also try putting it in Incognito and check, then it might be a cache issue.
Thanks, but that didn't work either. When using safari, every time I go to a page with Flash, a window pops up that says, "Flash Player (Safari Internet Plug-In) quit unexpectedly" followed by a LOT of log text below. I can provide some of that if it will help.

btw I ran the virus scan, and no problems were found
QUOTE Thanks
seanje

Does Skype use Flash, as well? I can't even open Skype these days, an error pops up immediately.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

No, Skype does not use Flash. What does the log say? It may help in narrowing down the problem.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
seanje

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
No, Skype does not use Flash. What does the log say? It may help in narrowing down the problem.
Process: Skype [57147]
Path: /Applications/Skype.app/Contents/MacOS/Skype
Identifier: com.skype.skype
Version: 2.8.0.866 (2.8.0.866)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [116]

Date/Time: 2011-02-12 17:48:05.145 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J567)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 352163 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 68
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 1 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 2
Anonymous UUID: 59F8794A-2EDE-4BB4-932E-2532FF6E65F5

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000c084e455
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

I have logs for Safari and Chrome as well.
QUOTE Thanks
seanje

Safari:

Process: WebKitPluginHost [57158]
Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/WebKitPluginHost.app/Contents/MacOS/WebKitPluginHost
Identifier: com.apple.WebKit.PluginHost
Version: 6533 (6533.13)
Build Info: WebKitPluginHost-75331300~12
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: WebKitPluginAgent [57157]

PlugIn Path: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/PlugIns/FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FlashPlayer-10.6
PlugIn Identifier: com.macromedia.FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin
PlugIn Version: 10.2.152.26 (10.2.152.26)

Date/Time: 2011-02-12 17:49:12.090 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J567)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 352229 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 69
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 41 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 18
Anonymous UUID: 59F8794A-2EDE-4BB4-932E-2532FF6E65F5

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000c084e455
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

Try and repair permissions, then restart.
QUOTE Thanks
seanje

Quote:
Try and repair permissions, then restart.
AHHHH it worked! Thank you very much.

Flash works, Skype works, everything.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari's "mouse gestures" extension doesn't fully work? | Video editing »