New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Parallels or fusion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

safarisurfer

safarisurfer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13 inch 2012 Air

just curious which would be better to run on a macbook air for running windows 7 32 bit.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I would go for Bootcamp, although it really depends on how you want to operate it. If you are fine with rebooting into OSX or Windows 7 then that is the best (resources wise) way to go about it. Plus this way there is no other expense to virtualisation like Parallels.

Hope this helps.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by safarisurfer View Post
just curious which would be better to run on a macbook air for running windows 7 32 bit.
Either one would be fine. I happen to like Fusion better but that's just me. They both have trial versions which you can download and test with. Also, don't overlook the free Oracle VirtualBox. Not as full featured as the other two but it does the job.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

+1 for Fusion

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I agree, Fusion is more stable (at least in my experience). Also, much better Linux support.

VMWare is the forerunner of virtualization technologies and their products tend to be very mature and well sorted out at release. This differs significantly from Parallels who seem to release new versions with beta-level stability.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Another Fusion user here, although, I don't find too much to get me to use Windows on my Mac.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Also Fusion seems to run sales pretty often so if you keep you eyes open you can get it much cheaper than the normal price.

QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
I haven't see any comparison tests using Windows 7 yet, but here is a comparison test with Vista:

Fusion vs. Parallels Benchmarks
Head-to-Head: Parallels Desktop for Mac vs. VMware Fusion

Macworld magazine published an online article comparing options:
Choosing a virtualization application | Software | Editors' Notes | Macworld

Another comparison article:
A Review of Software to Run Windows on a Mac - WSJ.com

How to choose which virtualization program to go with:
Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

I own Parallels, and I can tell you that their support is abysmal. But the product's performance and ease of use once you get things sorted out, are excellent.

A very similar free option that you might want to try first:

Sun's VirtualBox (Free)
VirtualBox

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

safarisurfer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13 inch 2012 Air

cool thanks guys. paralles said on their site version 6 was faster in 80% of the operations tested on fusion or something like that.

I am running bootcamp but would like to run win 7 within osx. I will look at fusion though since it seems to be popular and read those articles.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
cool thanks guys. paralles said on their site version 6 was faster in 80% of the operations tested on fusion or something like that.
Parallels' marketing frequently does that, mostly because it's very difficult to quantify and it's an easy sell for the gullible.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I use Parallels. I find it fine for my needs, but their support is absolutely woeful to the point of embarrassment.

With a MacBook Air (and 2GBs of RAM I assume) you'll really struggle to run Vista or Win7 in a virtual machine and do anything useful. You might want to consider XP with that setup, or just use bootcamp.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:

I am running bootcamp but would like to run win 7 within osx. I will look at fusion though since it seems to be popular and read those articles.
Parelells is full of it, they make claims like that all the time. To be honest, I've used both Fusion and Parallels and ultimately, they're both pretty close in performance.

Where it makes a difference is that I find Fusion's support and support community about 300% better than Parallels. Parallels also gouges customers on their frequent version upgrade costs at least in relation to what I've seen from Fusion so far.

So ultimately, technically they're very similar. It's the support and company philosophies I think that make the difference.

QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone5s

+1 to Fusion here but I'm just about to celebrate being able to remove both Fusion and Windows as I've finally managed to find everything I wanted in the mac world - thank you iBank and Reunion.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Interesting read. Thanks to Randy Singer for the Links too.

I'm looking to run either Parallels or Fusion on my Core 13 iMac when it arrives. Don't want to mess with BootCamp since I'm really only looking to do some light gaming on the thing and I like the idea of having Windows in a Window on the Mac Desktop.

I'm leaning towards Fusion right now and the games I'm looking at are not top of the line CPU or GPU intensive games (that's what the X-Bosx and PS3 are for), they are mostly 7 or 8 year old games that have been reissued and will run on Win 95-XP (One that I just found is one of the Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends series). Speaking of which I'm looking at installing a retail version of XP Home Edition on whichever one I end up purchasing.

All that being said, is there going to be any real difference between Parallels and Fusion for what I am looking to do? Both retail for about $70 locally.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Keep your eye out for a Fusion special. I purchased Fusion 3.X about 3 months ago for $9.99 while it was on sale. They frequently have promotion sales and specials which I have yet to see from Parallels.

Also, if you're going to just be running some older Windows games that are not particularly graphic intensive, VirtualBox from Oracle might work well enough. You can't beat the price.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ? on specs for Civ 5 | Application problem maybe? »