New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Video editing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andy.millard

andy.millard is on a distinguished road

High all, newbie here.

Well I finally decided to get an IMac! Software question for you guys. I plan on doing simple editing of my home movies. Nothing fancy, maybe the occasional upload to youtube. What software do you use for that? This is how new I am to IMac's......I dont even know where to begin! All I know is that I am sick and tired of my windows based PC.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

For the really simple stuff, just use the iMovie program that came with your iMac! (Unless you bought it used or somehow got one that doesn't have it?) My wife and I run a photography/video editing company out of our home, and even though we mostly use Final Cut Studio and Adobe products for our major stuff, we still use iMovie for some things! It's a great little program!

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Welcome to Mac-Forums
Lets try and keep this simple...

CPU and ram

In your other post you mentioned an i3 or QuadCore, I can safely say that for what you want "piddle-around", the i3 will certainly be plenty enough for you.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
andy.millard

andy.millard is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply folks, thats just the kinda feedback I was looking for. My neighbor used to do that kinda stuff for a living and he used adobe premier. He did some really cool stuff but the program was more than I thought I needed not to mention his computer setup! Anyway, thanks again, I'm kinda excited to get one.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

Not a problem! There are several good programs! But I would start with iMovie first. It's very easy to learn, and you can always move on from there if it's not enough for you! Not to mention, it comes with any new/refurbished Mac, so unless you're buying from another party, you won't have to spend extra money on it

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

+1 for iMovie for a starting point, very intuitive, user friendly, and of course as ClockworkWorld pointed not expensive as it is free on new/ refurbished machines.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Online video won't play, Chrome says "missing plugin" | Remote Desktop Connection. »