New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

FTP Program that does the following?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TGITC

TGITC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G

I love cuteftp on windows, but the mac version is slightly different.

What I want is the two panels (Local and Remote) So cyberduck is out of the equation, and the ability to display files by date modified - top to bottom

This was dead easy on cuteftp for windows, as I could just right click in the remote window and choose 'Sorting' > By Date and descending, and then the most recently uploaded & modified files appear at the top of the file listing. PERFECT...

I am however unable do the same in the mac version. I contacted cuteftp support and then told me:

Quote:
Please note that both products are engineered entirely differently, and the Mac version is not going to have some of the PC features. The Mac version was designed to be a bit more simplified and I'm afraid it may not have the functionality you are seeking. If you go to CuteFTP Mac and Preferences, then go to Display, you will see the settings for time stamps. Unfortunately there is no option for the file Modified Date stamp.
Well, that is OK. CuteFTP cannot do what I want. So can you recommend an ftp program that fulfils my needs please?

Thats 2 panels, local and remote and the ability to display files by most recently modified, top to bottom.

I dont mind paying, I dont need it to be free - I just want something that will do what I need for basic straightforward FTP transfer...

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Try Filezilla, it's the one I use and I love it, it has the two panels for remote and local AND you can sort by most recently modified.

FileZilla - Client Download

Hope this helps

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
TGITC

TGITC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Try Filezilla, it's the one I use and I love it, it has the two panels for remote and local AND you can sort by most recently modified.

FileZilla - Client Download

Hope this helps

- Simon
Thanks for the recommendation. I have downloaded it and will have a play tomorrow...

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please chime in

Thanks again !
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Check out:

RBrowser (free, or $29 for more features)
RBrowser - The SSH Client for the Mac!

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

ca135web is on a distinguished road

Try Firefox addon "FireFTP".

Easy setup and very easy to use for one account or many.

Have fun.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

FTP downloading (accessing files on a remote server) is built right into OS X, but not uploading (placing files from your Mac onto a remote server).

You can use an FTP program to access an FTP site, but if you just need to download and upload a few files, the capabilities built-into OS X are both sufficient and very easy to use.

- To download a file from an FTP server, in the Finder (that is, with your desktop showing) choose:
Go menu --> Connect to Server,
and enter the FTP server's address. The address will be in this form: "ftp://servername.com"
- If the site requires a password, a small window will appear allowing you to enter it.
- A new window will appear on your Mac's desktop for the FTP server
looking much like a window for a folder on your hard drive. A list of all of the files on the FTP server will appear in the window.
- Drag the file that you want to download out of this window.
That's it.

If you want to be able to upload files from your Mac just as easily as you can download them, try:

Fire Widget (free)
Fire Widget

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Transmit. Been using it for years.

Panic - Transmit - The ultimate Mac OS X FTP + SFTP + S3 app

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGITC View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I have downloaded it and will have a play tomorrow...

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please chime in

Thanks again !
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Transmit yet. I've seen it called the best ftp client of ANY platform.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Logic - usb to guitar link help | Help With Automator Folder Action »