New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Problem with Tool Bar commands in WORD 2011

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Irishbard

Irishbard is on a distinguished road

? - when I open any WORD doc my toolbar auto open and I don't see my File View, etc. UNLESS I open the view toolbar section, select customize, then the missing toolbar opens ONLY while I am in the customize section. As soon as I close this the File toolbar disappears. How do I keep it "active"?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Any toolbars that you wish to have in view at all times must be added to the Word "Normal" template otherwise they'll only appear in the document you are currently working on.

The Normal template is located here:

/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/normal.dotm

You open the normal template from within Word, make changes, and then save the file. Do not attempt to open it while Word is not running as it can't be changed that way.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishbard View Post
? - when I open any WORD doc my toolbar auto open and I don't see my File View, etc. UNLESS I open the view toolbar section, select customize, then the missing toolbar opens ONLY while I am in the customize section. As soon as I close this the File toolbar disappears. How do I keep it "active"?
When you use View --> Toolbars --> Customize you aren't actually seeing the toolbar that you want, you are seeing a representation of it for purposes of changing your setup.

Here is what you need to do...

Open a document, any document, in Word.

At the very far right end of the Title Bar is a clear oblong button. Click on it and all of the tool bars that you have designated in View --> Toolbars will appear.

That's it.

In my experience, very few Mac users ever use that button, and few know what it is for. But it is there in just about every Mac OS X window , and it always does the same thing. It makes toolbars (and sidebars in the Finder too) disappear and reappear.

It is sort of an instant Classic-style Mac OS transformation. In addition to hiding toolbars and sidebars in the Finder, if you use this button, folders will now open to a new window and leave the old window open, just like in the days prior to OS X.

I don't know what Apple calls this button. I've heard users call it the "capsule" or the "pill." If someone clicks on it by mistake, it sure *can* be a pill! 8-)

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Irishbard is on a distinguished road

thanks for the reply - did the trick!
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishbard View Post
thanks for the reply - did the trick!
My pleasure!

Now you know what to do if you want to drive one of your co-workers nuts!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp Install Using Winclone | Mac Mail POP IMAP Multiple Computer Duplicate E-Mail Problem on Laptop »