New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Creating simple HTML files in Mac OS X with TextEdit...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AxiomOfChoice

AxiomOfChoice is on a distinguished road

In Windows, I was able to pull up Notepad, input some raw HTML code, and save the file with the .htm (or .html) extension. And I had an HTML file that would open in my browser. I CANNOT get this to work in Mac OS X Snow Leopard in TextEdit, even though I've consulted something like 3-4 online tutorials that purport to show you how to do just that. The file ALWAYS opens back up as a text file (albeit with some formatting...thanks a LOT, TextEdit)! Any suggestions? Is there an application I can download that will allow me to do things like this? I'm desperate
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

TextEdit differs from Notepad in one significant way - Notepad is plain text, TextEdit is rich text. When you save a file as rich text, the file is saved with much more content than you put in your document. This content defines how the document looks - you'll notice that in TextEdit, you can change the font, change colours, etc. This is because it is rich text and not plain text which is, well, just plain.

You can have TextEdit work in plain text mode if you'd like. Go to Format > Make Plain Text. When the file is saved, it will save as plain text, much like Notepad does.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
AxiomOfChoice

AxiomOfChoice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
TextEdit differs from Notepad in one significant way - Notepad is plain text, TextEdit is rich text. When you save a file as rich text, the file is saved with much more content than you put in your document. This content defines how the document looks - you'll notice that in TextEdit, you can change the font, change colours, etc. This is because it is rich text and not plain text which is, well, just plain.

You can have TextEdit work in plain text mode if you'd like. Go to Format > Make Plain Text. When the file is saved, it will save as plain text, much like Notepad does.
Thanks for the response. I'll try to work with that.

I've just noticed that another problem is that if I try to do plain-text editing of existing HTML files on my Mac, right-clicking and opening them with TextEdit fails to pull up the HTML code - it just shows me a crappy version of the website. Any way around *that*?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Yes. Don't ever, ever, ever use TextEdit for anything, ever.

Get a good text editor, like TextWrangler, for plain text editing.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few HTML editors for the Mac. Even general programmer's editors like TextWrangler will do the job if you like editors that stay out of your way. One that is quite popular is TextMate as well - I don't use it but many people will swear by it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I think what confuses most switchers is the name "TextEdit" as it assumes it's a plain text editor similar to the Windows Notepad. While actually TextEdit is really more like the Windows "WordPad" which is also a Rich Text Document editor.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I think what confuses most switchers is the name "TextEdit" as it assumes it's a plain text editor similar to the Windows Notepad. While actually TextEdit is really more like the Windows "WordPad" which is also a Rich Text Document editor.
It's actually a lousy text editor, a pathetic word processor, and a worthless WYSIWYG HTML editor...all in one. Very likely the worst application Apple...or, rather, NeXT...has ever designed.

Jack of all trades, useful at none.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxiomOfChoice View Post
In Windows, I was able to pull up Notepad, input some raw HTML code, and save the file with the .htm (or .html) extension.
If you are working with HTML, you would do well to get a better text editor, or, even better, a text editor that includes lots of features to make HTML coding go faster.

A better, yet still free text editor:

TextWrangler (free)
Bare Bones Software | TextWrangler

This one is a longtime favorite of hand coders:

BBEdit ($100)
Bare Bones Software | BBEdit 9

This is my personal favorite for hand coding HTML:

PageSpinner ($30)
PageSpinner - the HTML editor for Mac OS X

Other choices:

CODA ($99)
Panic - Coda - One-Window Web Development for Mac OS X

ESPRESSO ($80)
MacRabbit - Espresso

However, you might want to use a WYSIWYG Web site creation program instead, or just occasionally for quick jobs. There are a bunch of these for the Macintosh; all of them are good. But here is my favorite, and it is FREE:

KOMPOZER (free and open source)
http://kompozer.net/
Kompozer is a very impressive application. It is more like DreamWeaver than iWeb, but it is very easy to use. In fact, it is almost as powerful as a professional-level Web site creation tool. There are several free tutorials to learn how to use the program, and it isn't hard to learn to use. You can easily migrate your existing Web site(s) to Kompozer because it doesn't use a proprietary format, it will simply open your HTML-based Web site.

FREE KompoZer tutorials:

- KompoZer User Guide
KompoZer User Guide - Home

- How to Design and Publish Your Website with KompoZer
How to Design and Publish Your Website with KompoZer (thesitewizard.com)

- KompoZer Tutorial 2: How to Add Images, Change Fonts and Colours
Tutorial on designing and publishing your web pages with KompoZer, a free standalone WYSIWYG web editor.
KompoZer Tutorial 2: How to Add Images, Change Fonts and Colours and Create Links (thesitewizard.com)

- Other free KompoZer tutorials
thesitewizard.com: Website design, promotion, CGI, PHP, JavaScript scripting, and revenue earning.
Scroll down to KompoZer Tutorials

- KompoZer Video Tutorials
YouTube - kompozer tutorial

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

crazystick is on a distinguished road

Warning -- don't ever tell this useless program to save in plain text after it stupidly opens like a rich text file. You will lose everything, like the javascript you just spent an hour working on

slightly off-topic, I don't suppose mac saves versions of files you can get at after it does this? I'm a new (and fairly frustrated) mac user after years of Linux and Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

See above, there a links to text Wrangler which is a great html and javascript editor

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

If you're using Lion, you can browse previous versions of the current file. Click the little down arrow next to the file name in the titlebar. You'll have to mouse over the file name to see it. When you do, select "Browse All Versions..."

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
If you're using Lion, you can browse previous versions of the current file. Click the little down arrow next to the file name in the titlebar. You'll have to mouse over the file name to see it. When you do, select "Browse All Versions..."
Yes, let's see TextWrangler manage THAT and then I'll be impressed.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Previously in this thread I recommended Kompozer, which was a free WYSIWYG Web site creation program. It was my program of choice for creating Web pages. Unfortunately it wasn't compatible with Lion and it needed a complete rewrite.

The rewrite is now called:

BLUEGRIFFON (free)
BlueGriffon, The next-generation Web Editor based on the rendering engine of Firefox

Here is a free video tutorial series to learn to use BlueGriffon:
(The tutorial does not use the Mac version of the program, but the program should be virtually identical across platforms.)
How To Produce Your First Website With Blue Griffon (Part 1) - YouTube
How To Produce Your First Website With Blue Griffon (Part 2) - YouTube
How To Produce Your First Website With Blue Griffon (Part 3) - YouTube
How To produce Your First Website With Blue Griffon (Part 4) - YouTube
How To Produce Your First Website With Blue Griffon (Part 5) - YouTube
How To Produce Your First Website With Blue Griffon (Part 5) - YouTube
How To Produce Your First Website With Blue Griffon (Part 6) - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz****w0Gpc
How To Produce Your First Website With Blue Griffon (Part 8) - YouTube
How To Produce Your First Website With Blue Griffon (Part 9) - YouTube
How To Produce Your First Website With Blue Griffon (Part 10) - YouTube

Randy B. Singer