New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Is there A Music Player that will play .flac files?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pokermaniac

pokermaniac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD

I have 100 Gigs of songs in .flac format. For anyone who is not familiar with .flac files, they are compressed songs/files that are lossless.

I would love to be able to load all 100 Gigs of songs on my iMac (I loaded them on my PC from all of my CD's, and have them backed up on an external HDD). Is there a Mac compatible player that I can download that has the codec to play .flac files?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Yes, VLC will play them, but is ugly and not intuitive.
Cog is decent though, and more than capable, pretty well featured too.

Cog - News

Or Plex plays all manner of formats, and works with the Apple remote. Fabulous player it is.

Plex - A Complete Media Solution

Both are free by the way.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

Mac Specs: Two iMacs: 10.7.5 2010 Core i3, 8Gigs RAM, and a 10.7.5 2011 Core i7, 16 Gigs RAM with an SSD

Thanks!.....I just purchased a new iMac. Is there an Apple remote that I can purchase for it? If so, is it worth getting?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

It should have come with one, mine did, so unless Apple changed things, it should be in the box with your keyboard.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

I found out that they were including it as a promotion, but not anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

That's a shame, I thought it was automatically supplied as it controls front row etc., but looking around it does seem that they have stopped supllying it. Cheapskates!
That's actually quite typical of Apple.
Anyway, it's not needed specifically, and if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you can control Plex from it's own app. (sadly not free).

QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

Cog seems the way to go for me. However, their website states that there is a bug in their newest version, 0.07 for Snow Leopard, that causes the playlist to become corrupted. They say that it's better to use one of their unstable versions. Anyone have Cog with Snow Leopard? Which version do you use?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Hmm that's a shame. I don't use it now, because I like PLEX, and don't store much FLAC.
There's no harm to be done by trying the current or the unstable versions, as long as you don't mind re-doing a playlist every so often IF it does go wrong.

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Songbird for me. Does every codec under the sun, and I really appreciate how it handles my library. You can have it handle your files in a database type style, or not. I only wish that there was a lite version, which ditched the stupid browser. I understand that it's built with the Mozilla engine, but the browser is simply unnecessary IMO. I also love that it works with my keyboard media shortcuts, via an extension. Lots of good stuff in it aside from that, but it's a long list.

Plex looks interesting. I think I remember looking at Plex a couple of years ago, and it was nothing like it is now. But isn't Plex in direct competition with iTunes? It certainly appears the be the case. Also, looking at its feature set, I'm worried about how bloated it is. Could someone attest to its performance in regards to how fully featured it is?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Yes I can Doug.
Firstly, I didn't realise that Songbird handled FLAC, otherwise I would have put that as an option. Good to know, thanks.
Now Plex.
Honestly it's interface is very very good, and if you have the Apple remote, so easy to navigate, not only that, it can upscale video to 1080P if your display handles it, and I have not had a single file play with judders or artifacts or pauses at all, be it full BD rips, or MKV's which are troublesome with other software solutions I've tried.
Sadly I wish the App was free, but it's $2.99 and is very good, allowing you to stream to your iPhone/iPod if you so wish.
I would say try the main Mac application, as it's a freebie, and see what you think. No harm to trash it if you don't like it.

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Well, I've tried it and now I'm uninstalling it. It's very pretty, that's for sure. But I prefer functionality over aesthetics. For one, it doesn't utilize a mouse or trackpad. It functions only with a keyboard or a remote. That's plain stupid. Secondly, it's a bit resource hungry. I thought Songbird was bad sitting idle at 80MB, but this thing sits idle at 225MB! It also sits with the processor at about 20% vs SB's 1-2%. At first I thought that I was mistaken about the memory it ate up, but if you look closely, it calls up all these Python scripts, as seen in my screen shot.

The other problem is that you can not play anything if you quit the media server. Which is silly, since the media server seems to run independently from the actual interface.

It's quite a slick interface though, and if it wasn't such a hog, and didn't require a keyboard or remote, I might consider giving it another whirl. I'll stick with Songbird.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-02-07 at 3.00.34 PM.png (242.9 KB, 26 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Fair enough, each to their own of course. 225 mb it is indeed, but I guess it needs it.
I would imagine that it's use of memory explains it ability to play HD content smoothly.

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Perhaps. But I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who was looking purely for a music player. Way overkill, and not fully functional in the most basic of areas. Something like Plex seems like it would make a FAR better platform for an external media server like Roku ATV etc..

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
pokermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Perhaps. But I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who was looking purely for a music player. Way overkill, and not fully functional in the most basic of areas. Something like Plex seems like it would make a FAR better platform for an external media server like Roku ATV etc..

Doug
I've been following the thread pretty closely, and yes, I just want a pure music player that will play .flac. I haven't given up though.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Cog it is then, or VLC. Have a look at their website, they seem to have lots of extensions now, that may give a nicer interface.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Valve anti-cheat system for mac | e-mail address deleted from Address Book »