New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

I have a multipage 25 meg PDF to email.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MiamiHeatLuver

MiamiHeatLuver is on a distinguished road

Can someone please tell me how or a program I can use to shrink it to 2 or 3 megs? I dont want to spend $35 To buy pdfshrink for a 1time use.. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. TIA
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

The easiest way i find is right click on the file you want and then in the drop down menu *compress* and this will create a zip file for you in the same location. Then its just a matter of emailing that zip file

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MiamiHeatLuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
The easiest way i find is right click on the file you want and then in the drop down menu *compress* and this will create a zip file for you in the same location. Then its just a matter of emailing that zip file

HTH

Cheers
Thank you sir but all that did was give me a 19meg zip.. Anybody else please?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You can shrink with Preview, and do what TattooedMac suggested to get the file size down further.

You can do this by opening Preview.
Opening your document.
File -> Save As...
Format -> PDF.
Under Quartz filter select "Reduce File Size."

You should see something like this:

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

@OP PDF's are compressed as they are so trying to compress them further is hard to do ...

Why not use something like DropBox . .

Upload it to dropbox then email the URL to the sender ??

Just another way of doing things.

@ CR i thought of that as well but a 1.3mb PDF i just *reduced file size* to 3.2mb ?!?!?!? i dont know why either. I tried it multible times and same result, otherwise i was going to suggest that to the OP.

Or in preview save each PDF page as a .jpeg and send them that way ??

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MiamiHeatLuver

Hi Crimson, doing what you just told me to try.. Made all the images in the PDF like GRAY SEPIA and now the file is 44 megs. Really really crazy!!
QUOTE Thanks
MiamiHeatLuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Why not use something like DropBox . .

Upload it to dropbox then email the URL to the sender ??

Just another way of doing things.

@ CR i thought of that as well but a 1.3mb PDF i just *reduced file size* to 3.2mb ?!?!?!? i dont know why either. I tried it multible times and same result, otherwise i was going to suggest that to the OP.
Or in preview save each PDF page as a .jpeg and send them that way ??
I can upload a 25 page 25 meg PDF to drop box? Thanks for the suggestions Tattoo!!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiHeatLuver View Post
I can upload a 25 page 25 meg PDF to drop box? Thanks for the suggestions Tattoo!!
No worries. Has been a saviour to me many a time. Dang i should of invited you to up my own Acct lol

Glad it works

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
MiamiHeatLuver

I dont know if it worked but I sent my client the drop box link I THINK?? lol If there is anybody else out there who knows how to shrink a 25 page 25 meg PDF so it is email worthy.. please chime in and let me know.. Kind Regards!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

As you've found out shrinking the original will usually result in messed up graphics or other things..so if you DO have to create a large PDF that uses a lot of images and so on, you're better off retaining the size and using things like Dropbox.

Dropbox gives you 2GB for free..just put the file there and then grab the Public Link to it and send that to your clients, they can then download the files from Dropbox directly and you can continue to house the files there..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Silverado

Silverado is on a distinguished road

Does your ISP not include some webspace with your package?

You could simply upload it there and e-mail a link for the recipient to download the file.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Entire thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Does not belong in "Apple Rumors and Reports". Please read forum descriptions before posting.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiHeatLuver View Post
I dont know if it worked but I sent my client the drop box link I THINK??
A simple way to know if the link works is to try it yourself. If it does, they should have no problem. Otherwise, ask them if it worked.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Entire thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Does not belong in "Apple Rumors and Reports". Please read forum descriptions before posting.
Hmmm maybe the new Mod needs re-training as he missed that one

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

There are plenty of sites where you can share content via links. There are free places that allow 10gig of online storage for example, so you could always use those, but for this, Dropbox would be perfect, as TM said. 2 gig limit, so 25 meg won't even make a dent.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing MS office for Mac 2011 on MacBook Pro | Firefox images blurred »