New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iTunes oops

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RadioSaigon

RadioSaigon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

I've managed to dump a whole load (around 590 I believe) of Mac System sounds into iTunes. Not real sure how I managed that -too much haste not enough speed I reckon.

Anyway, now I can't get them out of iTunes! The Delete key doesn't, dragging them to trash wont, they menu commands are just greyed out... I'm stumped.

Obviously, I want to retain the actual files in their respective, appropriate locations -I just want them all out of iTunes! Would welcome any suggestions!

Keep it Straight with Rudder
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

All the system sounds should still be in their original locations anyway.
Best thing for you to do I reckon would be to create a new library (open itunes while holding the "alt" key), then re-drag all you music etc into there, once done delete the old library.

HTH
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

RadioSaigon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

Thanks Simon, I have done that... but I ain't exactly thrilled with the results! The new library has none of my apps, videos, photo's, playlists, plays (upon which a few of my playlists are based) amongst other things... and all of this just to remove a few (ok, 500+) system sounds accidentally added to the original library!

I'm thinking there must be a better way -please? anyone?

Keep it Straight with Rudder
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

if im right in thinking they are all .aiff files, surely you could just search that, then delete the ones that arent songs? (they could be .caf, like garageband)

obviously im assuming here that you dont rip your music with the aiff codec.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

RS: Do you have iTunes set to manage your Library? That is: in 'Preferences - Advanced', do you have 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder...' checked?

You've not given us any clue how you managed to add them to iTunes. But, if you have that checked, iTunes would have made a copy of them when they were added and left the originals right where they were. You'd be safe deleting them all from iTunes as you're only deleting the copies.

Edit: I was tired last night and just re-read your post. Guess you can forget that.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Handbreak not downloading into itunes | recovery for pages »