New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iMove upgrade question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tatman21

Tatman21 is on a distinguished road

I am about to buy Snow Leopard and I'm going to upgrade to the new iMovie. There are a couple of things I really like about iMove 6, though, so I'd like to keep it. If I rename it iMovie 6 in my finder, when I download the new iMovie from the app store, will it leave the old one on there for me to use?

Thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I believe the new iMovie will install over the old one or overwrite files upgrading the older version. What you should do is make a backup of the older version first. You should be making backups anyway with Time Machine.

What it comes down to is if you like iMovie06 so much, then don't upgrade to the newer version.
QUOTE Thanks
Tatman21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I believe the new iMovie will install over the old one or overwrite files upgrading the older version. What you should do is make a backup of the older version first. You should be making backups anyway with Time Machine.

What it comes down to is if you like iMovie06 so much, then don't upgrade to the newer version.
I don't like iMovie6 "so much," it just has a couple of things I like about it. Such as some of the themes, that aren't in the new one. The new one integrates with Youtube better, I think.

With some of my other software (not apple software, but third party), if I renamed the original version, the new versions didn't replace it. All it was doing was overwriting files with that name. So I'm wanting to find out from someone if Apple software works the same. If the new iMovie will just overwrite the file called iMovie, so that if I rename the old one iMovie6, hten maybe it won't overwrite it.

Also, I have 3 different backups going -- Time Macine duplicates to 2 different drives, and Time Capsule gets a 3rd backup. So I think I'm good in that department. And backing up the old iMovie wouldn't do me much good, I want to USE it, not store it.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

I've just installed iMovie11, and it installed over iMovie9 rather than over iMovie6HD.
QUOTE Thanks
Tatman21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
I've just installed iMovie11, and it installed over iMovie9 rather than over iMovie6HD.
Does the app file actually say, "iMovie9" or "iMovie6HD"? Mine just says iMovie.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

In my Applications folder, iMovie9(now 11) is the normal star icon labelled as just iMovie. iMovie6 HD is the old clapperboard icon and is labelled iMovie HD.
QUOTE Thanks
Tatman21

I just got the new iMovie loaded today. One thing I got wrong, my old iMovie 6, said, "iMovie HD." So when I loaded the new one, which is just labeled iMovie, the old one is still there. So, I can still use it if I want.

Thank you all for the info & help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows Live keep signing out | I keep getting a Time Machine error. »