New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office 2011 freezes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JAWDAT

JAWDAT is on a distinguished road

Hello everybody

I've just installed office 2011 for mac successfully but when I'm trying to run the office programmes , they freeze on the beginning logo as the pic shows and they dont enter to the program , so later i have to force quite while it showing the application doesn't respond at the dock

by the way I'm using macbook pro 2.4

is there any solution for this

thx in advance
QUOTE Thanks
MDavid

MDavid is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0, 1gb ram,80 gig hdd, Powermac G5, 80 Gig HDD, 1/5 gbs of ram. dvd writer

Hi,

try running the updater from microsoft.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

If the update does not work go into the preferences and remove the .plist files.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

And if removing the plist files don't work, a reinstall of Office 2011 is probably in order. Follow the instructions carefully for uninstalling that are listed here.
QUOTE Thanks
JAWDAT

JAWDAT is on a distinguished road

Thank u very much , I did all the solutions and reinstall it again , the same problem
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

If you completely uninstalled it according to directions at the link I posted and then reinstalled, and it still freezes, you may have a hardware problem.

You might want to run Disk Utility from your install DVD and check the hard drive for errors. If everything checks out OK, then I suggest you go to the Mac Office Forum at Microsoft and post the problem there. They have MS MVP help that's very good. Here is the LINK. Click on Support.
QUOTE Thanks
DavidPelton

DavidPelton is on a distinguished road

JAWDAT, what is the user name on this account? Also, does this happen launching Outlook?

Finally, if you create a new user on the machine (please name it Test), does the problem occur?

Thanks. I am sorry you are having this issue and I hope I'll be able to help out.

David Pelton
Setup Test Lead, MacBU
QUOTE Thanks
DavidPelton

DavidPelton is on a distinguished road

We have found two causes to this, can you please see if you fall into one of these cases:

Go to the System Preferences
Click on the language control panel
If your top language is Arabic or Hebrew, this issue will occur.

To workaround this while we investigate it...
Change your language to English in the system preferences
Log out and log back in (or restart your machine)
launch all the office apps

If you wish to go back to Arabic or Hebrew as your language, quit the apps, reset your language, and you will be fine.

If you delete your office preferences, then you will need to do this again.

Please reply back, if you find that your scenario is NOT this one.

David Pelton
MacBU
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

I will be very interested to hear if there is a happy resolution to JAWDAT's problem. I'm hearing from lots of users who have Office 2011 and constant application freezing. None of the usual troubleshooting techniques for Office appear to be helpful.

I tend to suspect that the problem is font-based, but when I refer users to:
Print Page
and they (apparently) follow the instructions, they still report continuing problems.

It may be that expecting users to troubleshoot font problems is asking too much. I do hope that Microsoft works out a solution that will help all users soon.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Interesting Randy.

Wonder how many users actually use Font Book and the Validate Font utility when these problems pop up in Office?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Wonder how many users actually use Font Book and the Validate Font utility when these problems pop up in Office?
There's no telling.

I do know that because so many Mac users tend to hate Microsoft, and hate having to use Microsoft's applications (they feel forced to use them because they are a de facto business standard), that a surprising number of users are hostile to the concept of doing *any* troubleshooting when they have a problem with Office.

I touched on this in another thread here on Mac-Forums. Some Office users are so hostile towards Microsoft and their applications that when I try and help them they keep repeating that Microsoft products are "garbage" and they refuse to follow instructions for troubleshooting and fixing their problems.

When I assure them that not everyone is having the same problem, and that it can probably be fixed, they usually become mad at me and say that Microsoft shouldn't have released a product that can "break" so easily!

This certainly makes it hard to help! Oy!

(Personally, I use and love Microsoft Word, and haven't had a moment's problem with it since the days of OS 9. But I use Word 2008, and won't upgrade to 2011 until I hear that all of the bugs have been worked out.)

Randy B. Singer

@Randy

We do a have a few MS haters that seem to pop up in these forums. What they forget or perhaps don't know is that MS was developing Office apps for the Mac before Windows and that Mac Office is one of their cash cows along with the Windows Office suites.

I use both Office 2011 and 2010 and while I do like 2010 better, I couldn't do without either.

For those difficult problems that come up, I usually direct users to the MS Mac Office forums on their server. The MVPs who hang out there are top notch folks. They've helped me through several "tough dogs".
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
e do a have a few MS haters that seem to pop up in these forums. What they forget or perhaps don't know is that MS was developing Office apps for the Mac before Windows and that Mac Office is one of their cash cows along with the Windows Office suites.
Yes, I sometimes have Mac users tell me that Word isn't "Mac-like" and that it is a refugee from Windows. That's hysterical, because Word was released for the Mac in 1984, six years before it showed up on Windows.

Randy B. Singer

wzahran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPelton View Post
We have found two causes to this, can you please see if you fall into one of these cases:

Go to the System Preferences
Click on the language control panel
If your top language is Arabic or Hebrew, this issue will occur.

To workaround this while we investigate it...
Change your language to English in the system preferences
Log out and log back in (or restart your machine)
launch all the office apps

If you wish to go back to Arabic or Hebrew as your language, quit the apps, reset your language, and you will be fine.

If you delete your office preferences, then you will need to do this again.

Please reply back, if you find that your scenario is NOT this one.

David Pelton
MacBU

thanks a lot David it works .......
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Thanks for posting back and letting us know. So it appears the problem was with "Right to Left" languages which both Hebrew and Arabic are.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCal help: Getting phone alerts but not computer...help! | Building Hydra from source code »