New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Can anyone recommend a speech to text program

Thread Closed

jrod81

jrod81 is on a distinguished road

I have been asked to transcribe an 18 minute video on youtube... Rather than taking the time to pause the video ever so often and type it out I was going to see if anyone could offer a program that does this?
I know there is a program at nuance.com that does speech to text (its called dragon dictate) but i am not sure that it will work for websites or if it is something that i have to talk into a mic or something for it to work... that make sense at all?
thanks for the help
jared
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I would not expect Dragon Dictate to be very good at this type of task. he problem is that in the setup for Dragon Dictate you need to read a specific text passage for the program to train itself to your voice.

Nuance has another program built specifically for transcription Nuance - MacSpeech Scribe . By my reading though it may still require the same voice training process. It might be worth contacting them to check it out to be sure.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Agreed with above. If you want to see what automated transcription programs are capable of, just watch some of the CSPAN coverage with close captioning turned on. After about five minutes of missed words, misused homonyms, and just wrong words, you'll wish you were just typing it out yourself.
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Here's another option that might work for you: Reciting the speech into a trained copy of Dragon Dictation using your own voice.

The way this would work is that you play the video and listen to it on headphones, then recite what the speaker is saying (remembering to say punctuation out loud). Dragon, not being able to hear the original but being able to hear you, would transcribe you.

I recently tested Nuance's Dragon Dictation and it works pretty much like Apple's built-in dictation but without the 30-second time limit, and with very little training was very accurate (but then I have a trained speaking voice).

Thread Closed

« Key Command>Change to Normal Style | mail - alphabetically sorting messages »