New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

AutoSave(?) is IRRITATING!! - MS Office for Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lorimomof4

lorimomof4 is on a distinguished road

I hope someone can help me.

I have a Macbook 2.1 with a 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo running OS 10.5.8

My issue is this:

Ever since i began using the MS Office Suite for Mac, about every 3 minutes, if I'm idle or I'm using my external Apple keyboard, a "Save As" window pops up. If I'm in the middle of taking notes or something and don't pay attention and press enter, then it saves the file. Then I realize that the file name is different and have to save as again to name it back to the old file name and go hunting for the mis-named file.

This is very irritating. I have tried removing autosave and autorecover and that didn't do anything. None of the automator scripts seem to be related.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Lori
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

So this doesn't happen when you use the MacBook keyboard? Just an external?

If that's the case I'd say it's likely a sticky/stuck CMD/CTRL key on your external that's the cause

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
lorimomof4

No, it happens when I use my macbook keyboard as well, but only if I'm idle, not as I'm typing.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Which version of MS Office are you using? The symptoms you describe are strange because the "autosave" feature of MS Office 2008 and 2011 are completely transparent. Since the pop up is using the "save as" feature, that is even more strange as it should just do a "save".

The only thing I can think of off hand is if you're using a template with a built in macro (Office 2004 and 2011) that is doing that. Especially if the macro is assigned to your normal template.
QUOTE Thanks
lorimomof4

I am using Office for Mac 2008.

This happens even if I begin a new blank document.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimomof4 View Post
I am using Office for Mac 2008.

This happens even if I begin a new blank document.
It can't be a macro since Office 2008 does not support them. I have no idea of what could be causing that, however, what I suggest is to completely uninstall 2008 and reinstall. Use the Office 2008 uninstaller, do not attempt to uninstall by dragging files to the trash.

After reinstalling 2008, go to update and download the patches and service packs again.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Go into Word Preferences > Output and Sharing > Save and see what time structure is set up for saving and change it to something more manageable.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
lorimomof4

I completely disabled the autosave feature and I am still having the issue.

I found a new wrinkle:

I had to install office 2007 on my Windows 7 virtual machine in Parallels 6 for a class I have. I am having the same problem when I'm working in Access there.

Note: I only have this problem in MS Office applications, but I have it in all of them.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Lori
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New mac - copying apps from old mac | Recording Audio from Internet (FREE) »