New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Skype 5.0 Crashes On Startup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drumkey87

drumkey87 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro Unibody, 8GB RAM, Lion 10.7.5

The new version of Skype for Mac was released today and I downloaded it started it up and it Crashes instantly. I've restarted my computer and still no go. Anyone else having this problem?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I updated to the newer version as well today. It crashes when it restarted. However it hasn't crashed again yet. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
thanhdao

thanhdao is on a distinguished road

i have no problem with this...it work well after i undate how ever after i chat with my friend...it disconnected itself a few time...so is that the problem you got?
QUOTE Thanks
robc

robc is on a distinguished road

I also had the same problem with Skype 5. Immediate crash at the first window.

I have Nicecast installed from rogueamoeba. The same applies to any of their products that uses instant hijack.

I went to the install extras menu item and under instant hijack options I added Skype as an exclusion. Voila! Skype worked fine.

Perhaps this will help your problem?
QUOTE Thanks
drumkey87

I did exactly as you said but still nothing
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Do you have an error log/crash report? Without one, it's hard to know what the issue is. If there is none, can I assume that you've tried to reinstall it?

I installed 5.0 on my machine over the beta and it works without issue here (in case you were interested).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
drumkey87

Yes I sure do, I should have posted that the first time probably but anyway here it is just go to the following link... "20110129003027" - shrib.com
QUOTE Thanks
leucis

leucis is on a distinguished road

I am also having trouble with the newest version. It works fine with the internal iSight, but crashes when I use a firewire video interface. This interface worked flawlessly with previous versions of Skype, including the 5.0 beta. With this latest version, simply having the interface plugged in and turned on instantly crashes Skype.
QUOTE Thanks
jprohaska

jprohaska is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I have gone thru this group and still have the same problems with Skype. Not sure what happened as it worked perfectly and then all of a sudden yesterday, it started crashing on startup (I have it as a startup program).

Any help/suggestions would be hugely appreciated as I am a regular user of Skype. Here are the details of the crash...

Process: Skype [314]
Path: /Applications/Skype.app/Contents/MacOS/Skype
Identifier: com.skype.skype
Version: 5.1.0.935 (5.1.0.935)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [133]

Date/Time: 2011-05-27 18:13:50.570 +0800
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 290783 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 12
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 269072 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 12
Anonymous UUID: 604EB691-C0AE-4360-8D66-DA5E6D855F86
QUOTE Thanks
applebanana

applebanana is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD

You're not the only one. People around the world have been having the same problem. The following link should solve the problem. Let us know if it works for you. Good Luck.
http://heartbeat.skype.com/2011/05/p..._skype_an.html
QUOTE Thanks
jprohaska

jprohaska is on a distinguished road

applebanana, you're a freakin' genius! It worked. I can't tell you how many different things I tried that didn't work and the fix you suggested was so easy.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
applebanana

applebanana is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD

hahahaha no problem man. not my work though, just passing it around. glad it worked for you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FireFox Add-Ons | Switching to Mac ... Need a PIM »