Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Apps and Games (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/)
-   -   Question for AIM users (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/22734-question-aim-users.html)

TOYOTA 08-15-2005 04:30 PM

Question for AIM users

I have had my PB for a few months now and have finally got around to asking this question. When using AIM, and putting an away message on, if I close the PB or leave for nearly any amount of time over 3-5 minutes, it automatically signs me off. Does this happen to everyone. On my PC desktop at home, I can leave AIM on w/ an away message unattended for days, well actually an unlimited amount of time, point being it will not sign me off. Does the Mac just do this, or is there something I can do to prevent this? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

iLEFTOVERCRACK 08-15-2005 04:37 PM

your going to have to sign up for something like this

trpnmonkey41 08-15-2005 04:41 PM

When you close the lid the powerbook goes to sleep, thus shutting everything off to conserve energy (including internet connection), disconnecting you. Leaving it for 3 or 4 minutes won't sign you off but leaving it alone for the period of time that you computer is set for til it sleeps will disconnect you.

TOYOTA 08-15-2005 07:30 PM

Ok, thanks for the quick response. So virtually there is no way to stay signed on unless your computer does not go to sleep, because it shuts off the internet connection.

Thanks again.

brianwithan eye 08-16-2005 08:26 AM

Does it shut down internet altogether, or just the airport card. I have yet to use my powerbook on a wired connection but when i leave for college this fall that will change, so will I be able to remain online then or is it still going to log me off Adium

trpnmonkey41 08-16-2005 08:32 AM

When the computer goes to sleep EVERYTHING is turned off to conserve battery life.

PowerBookG4 08-16-2005 10:13 AM

everything but the ram is turned off... but this is a easy solution... don't put your computer to sleep.. leave it open and change the prefferences so that is stays awake.

coach_z 08-16-2005 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
everything but the ram is turned off... but this is a easy solution... don't put your computer to sleep.. leave it open and change the prefferences so that is stays awake.

yep, thats what i did for 2.5 years
-chris

oinkydoodle 08-17-2005 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerBookG4

Wouldn't this be bad for an iBook on AC power? I'm thinking of heat issues here.

I'm glad to see this thread. I'm having the same problem, only I don't use AIM, I use Adium. I love Adium, I just wish there was a way to stay signed into it while the computer is in sleep mode. Is this not possible to change at ALL?

phantasma 08-17-2005 12:39 PM

its impossible, sleep for any type of computer is that it saves all active processes into the ram and shuts everything down and only the ram is active, nothing else.

WasabiTaylor 08-17-2005 05:44 PM

Would just putting the display to sleep be sufficient enough power wise? Or is it smarter to put the entire computer to sleep nightly?

Taylor

TOYOTA 08-22-2005 12:16 AM

Another AIM question:

How come every time I put the computer to sleep or AIM gets shut down, and when I reopen AIM, all of my saved away messages are deleted and my profile has been erased? This never happened on my PC desktop?

Thanks again.

technologist 08-22-2005 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOYOTA
Another AIM question:

How come every time I put the computer to sleep or AIM gets shut down, and when I reopen AIM, all of my saved away messages are deleted and my profile has been erased? This never happened on my PC desktop?

Thanks again.

Well, it's not normal.

Rather than actually try to help you with that, I'll take the easy way out and ask if you've tried iChat :mac:

TOYOTA 08-22-2005 02:58 PM

No, I've never used iChat, but everyone uses AIM, so it doesn't make any sense for me to it. I'm sure its a great program, but it would be rather useless for me to use.

djeddiebear 08-22-2005 04:46 PM

You can talk with people on AIM using iChat.