New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

What program are you using for word processing and spreadsheets?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ScubaDachshund

ScubaDachshund is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone4, MBP

Purchasing my first Mac (13" MBP) in a few days. I'm thinking about buying iworks with it. Just wanted to see what everyone else was using. I thought about getting Office but really don't want to spend the money. I used Open Office for a while and didn't like it. (May try it again.) I've also used Google Docs on occassion.

So, what do you use?
QUOTE Thanks
KamenRiderTiki

KamenRiderTiki is on a distinguished road

I use open office because its free, thought I never make spreadsheets so I cant say if its any good for that sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you don't want to spend the money for MS Office, I suggest waiting a bit until Apple upgrades the iWork suite. If you have iWork preinstalled, it'll be the iWork09 version. Apple should be publishing iWork11 in the near future. Besides, you can purchase Pages 09 separately for $19.99 from the app store.

I agree with you regarding Open Office for the Mac - in plain words, it's ugly!
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

I use Bean, it is also free and unlike Open Office it is not ugly. It is very fast and smooth, check it out.

(I don't think it can open spreadsheets, you can try though!)
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflitskyle View Post
I use Bean, ...

I don't think it can open spreadsheets,
I'm pretty sure you're right about that. I have Bean installed, it's a good word processor though.

I use Word and Excel (2004). Works better for transferring files with Windows users than iWork files do. (and it's easier)

But if you don't need to do that, iWork is easier on the wallet!
QUOTE Thanks
ScubaDachshund

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look at Bean. I'll probably just use Google Docs for a while. If that doesn't work for me, then hopefully iworks '11 will be out by then. Or I'll have saved up enough for Office.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If you want the best invest in Office.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you didn't like the looks of OpenOffice, try NeoOffice. It's essentially OpenOffice with a much nicer interface.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
pershingd

pershingd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.3 Ghz, 4 gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
If you didn't like the looks of OpenOffice, try NeoOffice. It's essentially OpenOffice with a much nicer interface.
I agree - been using it for years and have yet to have a spreadsheet problem.
QUOTE Thanks
andysaint

andysaint is on a distinguished road

The best office I ever used is office 2000 which is in fact what we still use at work I think. I upgraded by personal laptop to office 2007 and it was the worst thing I've ever used. Absolutely hate the experience of using that. I bought my first MAC yesterday and will use open office for a bit and then decide if I need to change it. Won't be going back to Office again though.
QUOTE Thanks
jandrgold

jandrgold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaDachshund View Post
Purchasing my first Mac (13" MBP) in a few days. I'm thinking about buying iworks with it. Just wanted to see what everyone else was using. I thought about getting Office but really don't want to spend the money. I used Open Office for a while and didn't like it. (May try it again.) I've also used Google Docs on occassion.

So, what do you use?

I am using iWorks on one Mac and Office for Mac on another Mac.
I hope what you get depends on what you need. Office is more
powerful, but iWorks is fine for everyday stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
ScubaDachshund

I decided to go with Neo Office for now. Thanks for the input.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with Dragon Dictate for Mac. | Cannot disable smooth scrolling in Snow Leopard »