Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jan 21, 2011
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    4
    Opening Docs Maximised in Office 2011
    I have Office 2011 running on my Macbook, but I hate it that, in either Word, Excel or Powerpoint, every time you open a new document/presentation it cascades instead of opening maximised. I then have to maximise the document/presentation myself.

    I may be missing an über-obvious setting somewhere, but isn't there just a setting somewhere to open all documents/presentations maximised?

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by schase View Post
    I then have to maximise the document/presentation myself.
    Why do you have to mixamize the document? That would be pretty inconvenient. After all, you just got this fancy new MacBook with a widescreen display, designed to display more than one document or application at a time, and now, for some inexplicable reason, you are being forced to "maximize" documents so that you can only see one thing at a time. That's horrible.

    Might as well be stuck on Windows!

    Is someone forcing you to do this? Are they threatening you? If so, consider calling the police.

    No one should be forced to use their computer that way.

  3. #3

    lesarmitage's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 03, 2010
    Location
    Rufford UK
    Posts
    40
    Specs:
    iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone
    Office 2011 on Mac? -> I think it's great. Better then the w7 version
    Les Armitage
    People make life changes because of inspiration or desperation - http://gardner-riley.com

  4. #4

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    47,137
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by lesarmitage View Post
    Office 2011 on Mac? -> I think it's great. Better then the w7 version
    Office 2011 is a very nice improvement over 2008 but as far as it being better than the Windows version (Office 2010), that's subjective.

    In my opinion, using both versions, Office 2010 is more polished and easier to setup and use. Mac Office is catching up though.

    To the OP:

    Office Docs are designed to open like that as most folks like to have room on their desktop for other things. I couldn't imagine using Word or PP full screen. If you like full screen, just click on the View menu and choose "full screen" each time you open the document. It's really not that inconvenient to do.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jan 21, 2011
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by technologist View Post
    Why do you have to mixamize the document? That would be pretty inconvenient. After all, you just got this fancy new MacBook with a widescreen display, designed to display more than one document or application at a time, and now, for some inexplicable reason, you are being forced to "maximize" documents so that you can only see one thing at a time. That's horrible.

    Might as well be stuck on Windows!

    Is someone forcing you to do this? Are they threatening you? If so, consider calling the police.

    No one should be forced to use their computer that way.
    Yes, I'm held at gunpoint as I do my daily work. The hazards of living in Johannesburg, I'm afraid.

    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Office 2011 is a very nice improvement over 2008 but as far as it being better than the Windows version (Office 2010), that's subjective.

    In my opinion, using both versions, Office 2010 is more polished and easier to setup and use. Mac Office is catching up though.

    To the OP:

    Office Docs are designed to open like that as most folks like to have room on their desktop for other things. I couldn't imagine using Word or PP full screen. If you like full screen, just click on the View menu and choose "full screen" each time you open the document. It's really not that inconvenient to do.
    I'm with you on Office 2010 PC v. 2011 Mac. I prefer the Windows version, although I'm still pretty new with Mac, so maybe it will grow on me.

    I really do prefer working full screen. I'll Alt-Tab (or Cmd-tild) between documents when I need to switch. If I'm working on a 26" screen then I may consider opening things alongside one another, but a Macbook screen hardly has overwhelming real estate.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jan 21, 2011
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    4
    For anyone else who stumbles across this thread, RightZoom has all the answers.

  7. #7

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    47,137
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    That's a nice find. Thanks for posting the link.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Microsoft Office 2011 not opening on OS X 10.10
    By kell_garrison in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 01:43 PM
  2. Word Opening Dozens of Docs at Once
    By joebud in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-06-2013, 09:14 PM
  3. Opening docs from the cloud
    By Mini_mi in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 05:53 AM
  4. Office 2011 annoying "opening screen"
    By GeoffH in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 09:58 PM
  5. MS Word docs not opening...
    By Mike Leiderman in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2006, 09:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •