New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

I Need Software Update Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fr3d3rF

Fr3d3rF is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15 inch MacBook Pro

Hello everyone!

So lately I've been going through my /Library and /System/Library as well as my /User/Library to delete some unnecessary files that I don't need to make some space on the MacBook Pro.

However I think this may have caused a problem (maybe I didn't keep some of the files that I actually needed ).

My Software Update won't work. It always successfully downloads the files (currently OSX 10.6.6, iTunes 10.1.1, Airport 5.5.2, and Remote Desktop Client Update 3.4), and as soon as it asks for a restart, it still works smoothly.

The problem occurs after the "writing files" stage of the update... and as soon as that's done, an error message appears which simply says, "An error has occurred in the installation. None of your updates were installed." After you click ok, it simply restarts and nothing happens.

I've tried repairing my disk through disk utility to see if that helps. I've even tried to update the software directly from the Apple site... and I'm really close to uninstalling iTunes and downloading it again just to get the update... but that would leave out updates like 10.6.6 and such.

Can anyone help me out? Why is my Software Update not working?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

99.9% of users should never mess with anything in the Library folder! No wonder you're having problems.
Do you have a backup that you can restore to? If not, you may have a long road ahead of you that probably will require reinstalling your OS. *Tsk tsk*

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Dodgy area deleting files from the system folders and never really recommended to do.
If you have Time Machine or other backup of your files I would suggest a re-install of the OS, if the combo update and repair disk options haven't worked.

For future reference get CleanmyMac or similar software to get rid of unnecessary files.
CleanMyMac - Enjoy your clean Mac with just a few clicks!

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

If you haven't already done so, I would start by applying the OS X v10.6.6 Update Combo to see if it would restore some of the ""missing" files".

Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update Combo

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The "combo" update is not going to replace missing system files. You need to do an "Archive and reinstall" with your Snow Leopard DVD. All your data will be preserved.

Two things to keep in mind:

1. Mac OS X is not like Windows. You do not need to, nor should ever delete files to save space - especially from the all important Library folders. You can of course delete things like photos, music, documents (if no longer needed) but leave everything else alone.

2. Make backups! Time Machine came preinstalled on your machine. Buy an external hard drive and use it for TM.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The "combo" update is not going to replace missing system files.
Do you know this as a fact?

It is my understanding that if an update is interrupted that by running the Combo update that it will restore missing files and bring the system up to date. Is this not true?

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It's sometimes true. The combo update is just a compilation of the OS X updates that have been issued thus far. Some system files do not get updated and remain as they were when first installed. Therefore, depending on which system files or kext(s) (extensions) were deleted, they may or may not get overwritten. The only sure way to get things going again, is to reinstall.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Course it will not. We are talking about removing system files which is a completely different thing to update interruptions.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The "combo" update is not going to replace missing system files. You need to do an "Archive and reinstall" with your Snow Leopard DVD. All your data will be preserved.

Two things to keep in mind:

1. Mac OS X is not like Windows. You do not need to, nor should ever delete files to save space - especially from the all important Library folders. You can of course delete things like photos, music, documents (if no longer needed) but leave everything else alone.

2. Make backups! Time Machine came preinstalled on your machine. Buy an external hard drive and use it for TM.
Your best and easy option...

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Aperture to Outlook 2011 | Pop Up Blocker For Firefox - Does one exist? »