New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

MS Office 2008 Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac-P4c

mac-P4c is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.26Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GBHard drive. Totally Standard Macbook Pro 13"

Hello everyone!

Hopefully I will find help from you guys with my Microsoft Office 2008 (word).

I need some document elements in word, such as front pages, table of contents and the rest of them.. I don't how they disappeared, but I might have deleted them (Not sure).

After that, I tried to run a Microsoft AutoUpdate, and as before there is a new update (12.2.8) ! BUT, when I try to install it, something is wrong, because I can't choose a storage and it says, that it need some of the previous updates. And I tried to download them (previous updates) from MS' website, and if I remember correct it was saying the same thing.. (Need a previous update)

THAT's why I need help, what is wrong, and can I do something??
I need the document elements

Note; I can't choose another storage to install it on, because I don't have one at the moment. And I don't use Time Machine.
I can't install the officepack again, because I lent it from a friend..

Thank you VERY much, if you can handle my problem! I would be really thankful & thanks for reading

MacBook Pro 13" - Totally standard
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Ahh well using pirated copies leads to this trouble alas. You need to remove Office and do a clean install so maybe you had better buy your own copy.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

@harry:

It's a legal copy. (Family pack - lives with friend in the same Apt.)

@mac-P4:

After reading thru your post again, about the only thing I can suggest is to uninstall 2008 and do a reinstall. Make sure you're not using any other applications that limit languages or code - such as Monolingual.

Also, make sure you completely uninstall Office 2008. Use the uninstaller located in:

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office/Remove Office.app/

After reinstalling, click on update and download all the updates again.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Where does the OP say that Charlie?

All it says lent it from a friend.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Sorry harry, should have mentioned that it was private PMs between him and I. I initially closed his first thread on the subject but he PMed me to explain the situation.
QUOTE Thanks
mac-P4c

mac-P4c is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.26Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GBHard drive. Totally Standard Macbook Pro 13"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
@mac-P4:

After reading thru your post again, about the only thing I can suggest is to uninstall 2008 and do a reinstall. Make sure you're not using any other applications that limit languages or code - such as Monolingual.

Also, make sure you completely uninstall Office 2008. Use the uninstaller located in:

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office/Remove Office.app/

After reinstalling, click on update and download all the updates again.
If I uninstall the Office 2008 now. Can I use the same code as I used, when I installed it? Or shall I use another one of the two other licens..?

MacBook Pro 13" - Totally standard
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

You can use the same serial number over again as long as you completely remove the old copy. The serial number information is contained in the Office 2008 profile it creates. (It's encoded.) The Office uninstaller will remove the profile information and its data base. You should be good to go again.

After you install the new copy, make sure you get all the updates. Some of the updates have been combined from the original ones that were issued. They'll all be downloaded automatically from the MS server.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Further I use the business copy of 2008 and it comes with only one product key. Have installed Office 2008 on three machines now, all being replacements with Office removed from older with no problems. All that changes is you get a slightly different product number.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sync issue: When deleting an event in Entourage it remains in iCal | How does one xfer data from Palm Desktop »