New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Format Ex hdd to hfs+ and fat32

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

njharrison1979

njharrison1979 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac Leopard 10.5.8

Hi Guys

Im looking for an app that can format an external hdd to hfs+ and for the hdd to also have a fat 32 partition. I know how to use disk utility to format the drive to fat32 but it hasnt got the option to format another partition to hfs+.

Are there any apps out there that can do this?

I have a intel 24 inch imac running osx 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I would suggest you look again, because that option certainly exists in Disk Utility.

You are looking for 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled). It is the first option in the drop down menu.

("+" is 'Extended')

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
njharrison1979

Im sure I tried that format and it didnt work.
What I am trying to do is format it for use with the Microsoft XBox so I can put larger files on it over 4gb.

The xbox only supports hfs+ and not ntfs which is Microsofts native format lol...

Ill give it a go a bit later but as stated im sure I have tried that option....

It was a bit of a pig to get the other partition in to fat32.... You cant select fat32 for the other partition in disc util
Ended up swapping over to bootcamp and running eausus partition maker formatting both partitions to fat 32 the swapping back to disk utility to format 1 partition in journalled extended...
There must be a easier way
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Nevermind, I'll stay out of the whether it works or not - been too long out of the Xbox 360 game.

You can however select FAT32 in Disk Utility - It is called "MS-DOS (FAT)" there.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Im sure I tried that format and it didnt work.
What I am trying to do is format it for use with the Microsoft XBox so I can put larger files on it over 4gb.

The xbox only supports hfs+ and not ntfs which is Microsofts native format lol...
Are you sure of that? I know it supports FAT-32 and MS will specifically tell you that would limit it to a file size of 4GB. However, in the X-Box KB which you can find on ms.com it talks about interoperability with Vista and XP neither of which can read or write to HFS+. I suspect that the X-box supports NTFS not HFS+.
QUOTE Thanks
njharrison1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Are you sure of that? I know it supports FAT-32 and MS will specifically tell you that would limit it to a file size of 4GB. However, in the X-Box KB which you can find on ms.com it talks about interoperability with Vista and XP neither of which can read or write to HFS+. I suspect that the X-box supports NTFS not HFS+.

Nope it supports HFS+, NTFS is not recognised...
The only problem is, is you cant save xbox stuff on it when in HTFS+. But if you want to watch a bluray that you have ripped from your original copy it comes in handy
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OK, I understand what you mean now. Slight mixup of terminology.
Thanks for posting back.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Sims won't load! | Spyware »