New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

all iLife programs keep crashing!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fat_bunnies

for some reason as of late whenever i try to run an iLife program (safari, iTunes, iPhoto, garage band, etc...) the program freezes, so i have to force quit it, but then i have to relaunch the finder in order for the application to actually force quite. i first noticed this a few hours ago when safari wouldn't load the home page it would just poop out on me. at first i thought the servers were down and safari was trying to hard so connect that it used up all my system memory (i only 512 mb's), but ie was working. then i tried to open iTunes and that died, so i got to thinking and i came up with the idea that all iLife apps wouldn't work, tried it out and i was right. everything else is just fine, ie works, aim works (not ichat), even diablo 2 works. any help would be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

For ram usage, go to your Hard Drive/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.

This is odd, have you done any update lately?

I recommend going to Hard Drive/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and repairing disk permissions on your hard drive.

I'd also recommend running some other maintenance stuff, just to be safe. I like to use a program called Yasu, which is free and does a great job. http://www.jimmitchelldesigns.com/yasu.html

I'd just run everything that it can do. It will restart your computer when it's done.

What kind of mac are you using? What's it's processor? (Click on the apple in the top left corner and go to "about this mac".)
QUOTE Thanks
fat_bunnies

i updated safari to 1.2 and i was able to get to google before it crashed but now it crashes like before. when i try to run software update it crashes. for some reason iTunes 4.7 will run but not 4.9 (or whatever the most recent version is).
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_bunnies
i updated safari to 1.2 and i was able to get to google before it crashed but now it crashes like before. when i try to run software update it crashes. for some reason iTunes 4.7 will run but not 4.9 (or whatever the most recent version is).
Have you done what I said yet about repairing permissions and running yasu? It may very well fix your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
fat_bunnies

welp safari is back online thanks to yasu. iTunes still don't work i haven't tried other apps though thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Do you have another account on the computer to see, if this is widespread?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Try resetting the PRAM...(check apple's support page on instructions)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Network Utility | Virtual Pc Problem »