Thread: pajmarn zum

pajmarn zum
    Hi,

I hope someone can advise me. I want to use some adobe software on my macbook pro which is connected to the internet. However I understand the these applications (indesign, photoshop etc) randomly connect to the internet to adobe to check verification and install updates.

I donít like updating software versions and prefer to leave them alone once installed. Do these programmes only connect to the internet when I am using them or can they connect even when the application is closed.

If I have the application open, can I just turn off my airport extreme when using the software to stop it connecting when I donít want it, and then quit the application and put my airport back on afterwards?

Sorry for the long question but I got a Mac rather than a PC because I donít like all the updates and auto logging onto websites.

Thanks

pajmarn zum
    Hi,

I hope someone can advise me. I want to use some adobe software on my macbook pro which is connected to the internet. However I understand the these applications (indesign, photoshop etc) randomly connect to the internet to adobe to check verification and install updates.

I donít like updating software versions and prefer to leave them alone once installed. Do these programmes only connect to the internet when I am using them or can they connect even when the application is closed.

If I have the application open, can I just turn off my airport extreme when using the software to stop it connecting when I donít want it, and then quit the application and put my airport back on afterwards?

Sorry for the long question but I got a Mac rather than a PC because I donít like all the updates and auto logging onto websites.

Thanks

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    An application can't update itself without your consent, if there is an update available it will ask you before installing it.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

Thanks Simon

But can the application communicate with adobe if my airport is turned off ie can it turn it on to communicate without my permission. I just don't like the idea of this. Thanks again

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    No you have to turn the Airport back on.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Updates to software on your Mac are actually beneficial and usually do not cause problems as some Windows updates and software do. Simply put, Mac OS X is not Windows. You need to let go of the Windows paranoia.

To answer your question though.... most software will ask you prior to updating. (I've only run into a couple of programs that will automatically download updates without asking.) All you have to do is refuse the update.

Note, however, if you refuse to download updates you risk not being able to use the program if the operating system has been updated. And if you refuse to update your operating system you may be missing out on new features and enhancements, some of them involving security.

To sum up: I do not recommend you go that route.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    @Rob78

Do not Cross Post or Double Post. Your question has already been answered once before. I've merged both posts together here with the original.

Appologies, I am new to this!

So if I go to my apple menu when conected to the internet and pull down and click software updates does it give me a list of updates for all applications on my machine or just apple software. If so does the Adobe software only offer an upgrade when I am using that software and am connected to the internet?

Thanks

Specs:
    Software update from the Apple menu is primarily for Apple software. If memory serves right (as I don't currently have Adobe on my MBP) adobe will check for updates when connected to the internet when you start the program but will ASK you if you want to install the updates.

- Simon

May 2011

Thanks for all the replies. Very Helpful.

Specs:
    Anytime

- Simon

May 2011

Thread Information