New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Word 2011 document changed to all asterisks!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
@Virgeist:

Once the document turns to asterisks, it's toast. Gone forever.
I... I knew in my heart it was gone. But I refused to believe it. I was grasping at straws, in complete denial.

Seriously though, I ALWAYS keep spare copies of my work and valuable documents. Not just time machine backups, but USB key backups (since text files are small) as well, often in PDF form to avoid any form of file corruption. The only thing I don't do is printing copies, because of the cost of ink.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm the same way. I have Word set to make backups every time I edit a document and also have the automatic backup timer set to every 5 minutes. Another trick is to not open the original document to edit but rather tell Word to open a "copy". That way if the "Black Plague" strikes, you always have a well patient to work with.
QUOTE Thanks
klinden0909

klinden0909 is on a distinguished road

My girlfriend has this same problem and it happens to be 29 pages as well. Not sure if the page numbers are consistent, but one other person mentioned that number.

We did find that she can UNDO about 400 characters and then it changes back to normal text. Weird Mac stuff i guess.

Hope we find a solution, she is studying for the bar and this is the last thing she needs to worry about. Not to mention how her attitude ultimately affects the way i get to enjoy my nights as well....
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinden0909 View Post
Not to mention how her attitude ultimately affects the way i get to enjoy my nights as well....
LOL - I'd be filing a bug report with Microsoft STAT!! Heck, you might even have a civil claim here...
QUOTE Thanks
howi7

howi7 is on a distinguished road

The asterisk bug. I did see people crying. Just removed Mac Office from 214 Macs in our company. Nobody is allowed to use it any more. Costs for training seminars and an additional employee for the liftover to the new solution are nothing, compared to what happened with the asterisks. This is the end of it and next next week we remove it from the Windows PCs. However, its going to be boring for me in the future...
QUOTE Thanks
cbr

cbr is on a distinguished road

The asterisks attacked my novel, sixty single spaced pages irretrievably gone in mere moments. Months worth of work lost. Having never seen this before, I did not intervene quickly enough to stop Auto Save making the asterisks permanent (the night before a critical deadline--classic). Instead I was online, looking for answers. Hours of subsequent research yielded no clues, and the Genius Bar people had never even heard of this. Finally an online consultant at 'Just Answer' directed me here. I save obsessively, but apparently must now look beyond manual actions, computer settings, and Time Machine in doing so. It's virtually impossible to find any mention of this bug, which people should be made aware of even if there isn't yet a solution--at least then they can take preventative measures. Just completely inexcusable.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I agree - it is inexcusable - and fortunately I haven't encountered it personally. If you do have a Time Machine backup - that should have your document for you. Hopefully you have one?
QUOTE Thanks
cbr

yes I did but no dice
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr View Post
yes I did but no dice
Are you sure? Why wouldn't your TM backup have a version that was useable??
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's virtually impossible to find any mention of this bug, which people should be made aware of even if there isn't yet a solution--at least then they can take preventative measures. Just completely inexcusable.
You didn't look hard enough. The bug is well documented and has been for some time.

Here's a link to it with work arounds.

Also, I advise anyone who is working on large documents (writing a novel, magazine articles, PHD dissertations, and the like) to avoid using Word altogether. Scrivener is a professional writing tool for large documents and has no known bugs.
QUOTE Thanks
cbr

I did look very hard--spent untold hours trying to find out what had happened online, AND went to an appointment at the Genius Bar @ the Apple Shop (they said they'd never heard of it). But if you don't know what you are looking for: ie 'asterisks bug' then, very obviously, no, this info wasn't easy to find. Granted I am no techie--did not have the vocabulary to make my searches more productive, but then I doubt I am alone. All I could do was run searches on texts converting themselves into symbols.

However thank you very much for the Scrivener tip--I will def look into that ASAP! Good solution.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

+1 on Scrivener

It is now available through the Mac APP Store. Just upgraded to the new version and am using Index Cards (iPad APP) to sync work between the two.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
cbr

Hello all, the Genius Bar people suggested I reinstall all the software to prevent this happening again. Does anyone agree? I would rather not if this is deemed pointless. After all, they'd never heard of this before. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr View Post
Hello all, the Genius Bar people suggested I reinstall all the software to prevent this happening again. Does anyone agree? I would rather not if this is deemed pointless. After all, they'd never heard of this before. Thanks.
From all that I have read there is no certain way to keep it from happening other than to not use MS Word. You can mitigate against catastrophic loss by continually saving different versions (what I tend to do) or use a different software package.
But until Microsoft is able to identify and correct the problem (something I believe they are working on) you will continue to face the dreaded asterisk risk.
Seriously doubt reinstalling everything will fix it . . . and I certainly wouldn't bet several hours/days/weeks of work on it.

Just my opinion.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Whole heartedly agree with Razormac. If you read the link I gave you, you'll learn even the MS experts don't know what's causing it and say the only defense you have is backup. Take a look at the tips they recommend which should help to prevent data loss in the future.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« internet speed in menubar | How to switch between open docs in Word 2008 »