New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Virus protection requirments

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Goofnoff2

Goofnoff2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook Processor 2.26 GHZ intel core 2 duo 2 gb 1067 MHZ, and 2009 imac

I was working for the government with my mac, They required me to have a norton virus protection on it while i was using it. Now that I am retired, I uninstalled it. however, I get upwards of 30 events asking me to reinstall it and up date it. how do I get them to go away.

Have a Great and Wonderful day
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/any...ml#post1164953

Please don't cross post.

Did you use the built in uninstaller (if there was one)? If not, try AppZapper or AppCleaner.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
Goofnoff2

Mac Specs: macbook Processor 2.26 GHZ intel core 2 duo 2 gb 1067 MHZ, and 2009 imac

the uninstaller was with the program given by the DOD from the AKO websight.so yes that is how I uninstalled.

QUOTE Thanks
Goofnoff2

what is appcleaner or appzapper? what is crossing posts?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@Goofnoff2

Do not cross post! You've posted the same message in three different forums and twice in the same forum. And all in the wrong forum. Read the forum Guidelines. Click on the link in my signature.
QUOTE Thanks
Goofnoff2

Gotcha. So, how do I get rid of the alerts and events. when my system starts up?

QUOTE Thanks
Goofnoff2

The error message i get is a red ! symantec anti virus error: symantec anti virus auto-protect could not continue. pleas run live update or reinstall symantec anti virus and restart (code:10)

I have reinstalled and still get the message. I have deleted it and still get the message. I have re installed and uninstalled twice now I have this message for about 30 times. I have even tried to reformat this computer and reinstall snow leopard. it still happens how can I get rid of this. the appzapper does not work cuz there is not app to use.. the app cleaner does not work either cuz it is wanting an incon and there is no icon. I no longer have the software to install it again. what can I do.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

See this LINK. Also, get on the Symantec web site and access their knowledge base. Do a search for removal instructions - but make sure you specify for the Mac or OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
Goofnoff2

wow that link was awsome thank you very much. The App zapper was not that good but the appcleaner was better I thinkg. But the last thing was great. thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
Goofnoff2

well I have tried what was suggested above. It did not work I still have the same error messages. How can I format this macbook and reload it?

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Pop in the Snow Lopard install disc, reboot and hold down 'C'. Select language and then go to Utilities and select Disk Utility. Erase and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled)> Back to the Installer and proceed. Update to OS X.5.5.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I hate to be the one to say it (no, I don't) but this just goes to prove that A/V software like Norton and Macafee are as bad as any virus. Just another reason I'm glad I own a Mac and don't need it.
Even on my Windows desktop machine I ONLY use MS Essentials. That plus common sense will go far.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Itunes opening automatically | Netflix streaming error »