New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Do I empty my bursting download folder?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

horatio

horatio is on a distinguished road

Hello - I don't like the word 'newbie' but I guess I am one right now.
Please excuse the non-mac speak - used them for years but never had to speak about them - that's how good they are.

On my Finder window where there's a little house symbol with my name next to it. In this 'house' file is my 'download' folder where I guess everything I download goes. Question is - there's loads of stuff in there - seems like everything I've ever downloaded - do I need to empty it all or will it cock up my system if I do?

Many thanks,

Horatio
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

MrMacMan56 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB

I should not see it doing any harm all it is doing is just showing your download history (I Think)
If it was to get to full I am sure your Mac should warn you!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

If you've put all the downloaded things where they should be, i.e: installed all the apps etc., then yes empty it, it won't affect anything.
You should empty it every time really.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You can leave it if you want. It's just taking up space on your HDD.

My policy is if I don't need it anymore then I get rid of it. Either by backing it up to a CD, external HDD or the trash bin.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Trash the things you will never need to download again. For example, you have version 3.4 of Application and version 3.5 in your downloads folder. Delete 3.4 - you'll never need it again. Keep 3.5 in case you have to reinstall, which will save you the trouble of finding it and downloading it again.

Images, files, etc. - it's your call.
QUOTE Thanks
horatio

Thanks for your speedy responses guys! Time to spring clean and do some serious binning then.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

As a suggestion, go through the list and if you need to keep anything, such as downloaded applications, drag to the desktop, pop in a DVD+RW disc and burn to that with any burning program. That way the DVD+RW can be updated with downloads you need to keep.

The rest simply select Delete.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
horatio

good point - many thanks harryb2448
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CS2 install / uninstall | Quicken Essentials »