New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mac App Store Open, 10.6.6 Released

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Just got an email from Apple. Mac App Store is open. 10.6.6 is released. Sounds like you have to have 10.6.6 installed for it to work. Downloading now via Software Update...
QUOTE Thanks
clive12

clive12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
Just got an email from Apple. Mac App Store is open. 10.6.6 is released. Sounds like you have to have 10.6.6 installed for it to work. Downloading now via Software Update...
It would appear you have to pay for apps you already have yet again.

Thats what I was told by Applecare so its a bit ripoff in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive12 View Post
It would appear you have to pay for apps you already have yet again.

Thats what I was told by Applecare so its a bit ripoff in my opinion.
Why would you buy an app you already have?
QUOTE Thanks
Mamajag

Mamajag is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd

My pet peeve is the lack of a wish list. I use the wish list extensively in iTunes and the App Store to remember the cool stuff I find but don't have the money to try right then.

Why would you buy apps you already have? You have the disks if you already bought it, right?

ETA: Are you talking about buying apps in the Mac App Store that you have for your iOS device? Why wouldn't you have to rebuy it for a different platform?

Kim
I may have moved to Mac to retire as my family's PC techie...
QUOTE Thanks
clive12

clive12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Why would you buy an app you already have?
Because Iphone/Ipad apps you have already bought are not included as part of the Mac App Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamajag View Post
ETA: Are you talking about buying apps in the Mac App Store that you have for your iOS device? Why wouldn't you have to rebuy it for a different platform?
I dont have to buy an app I have on my Iphone on my Ipad.

I can do if I want an HD version but also have the option to run the Iphone version on the Ipad, but with the screen maximized.

Mac App Store doesn't have that option and if I want the App on my Mac I have to rebuy it regardless of whether I have it on my Iphone or Ipad.

If I am wrong on this someone please tell me as it would be good news as I am not paying to get the same piece of software for the third time.
QUOTE Thanks
Mamajag

You are right that you would have to buy it for your Mac. But iPhone and iPad both run on iOS, and this is for your Mac in OS X. It makes sense to have to pay for the work the developer did bringing it to OS X.

I wonder if apps from the Mac App Store are locked to only one computer or if you can share with your family computers like iTunes. I am guessing not. Maybe time to go search through the store for the answer.

Kim
QUOTE Thanks
Mamajag

Ooohhh....this is nice. Well, when we get another Mac...

Quote:
Click the Purchases button in the toolbar.

For any application in the list, you can:

Pause, resume, or cancel a download.

Download and install an update to an installed application.

Download and install an App Store application purchased on another Mac using the Apple ID currently signed in.

Kim
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
I am not paying to get the same piece of software for the third time.
It's not the same piece of software. It's a different version that supports a different OS and different hardware and had to be developed and tested separately, possibly by different programmers.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

On a slightly different note: Is there anything else about the software update worth noting, or is it all about the App store compatibility? I mean, there's the usual story of
Quote:
"The Mac OS X 10.6.6 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac
But I have a feeling that it's simply protocol which forces them to include this in each update, and not so much that it's true.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
On a slightly different note: Is there anything else about the software update worth noting, or is it all about the App store compatibility? I mean, there's the usual story of

But I have a feeling that it's simply protocol which forces them to include this in each update, and not so much that it's true.

Doug
Nothing other than in Finder, the Application Folder icon is slightly different.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

Downloading the new update right now.
QUOTE Thanks
willygates

willygates is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm just a little miffed that Steve-o-reno is forcing its prospective customers to upgrade to snow leopard in order to access the mac app store. Yes, $29 is a cheap price for the OS, but I don't ever recall them mentioning this requirement at any point before the grand opening. App store apps should have at least included all leopards, not just the snow ones. Pretty c.s. if you ask me. Just putting another wad of money in the Apple coffers. Aren't they rich enough yet?
QUOTE Thanks
Chris1111

Chris1111 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: I don't know

I grabbed a couple mAcPPs. One lets me design folders which will really help distinguish them from each other, I got a police scanner which I love having on in the background for no good reason, and one that turns my desktop wallpaper into a quicktime movie.

I could really use a thread or a website that tracked down the most useful apps out there and why.
QUOTE Thanks
MissMurder

MissMurder will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1111 View Post
I grabbed a couple mAcPPs. One lets me design folders which will really help distinguish them from each other [...]
link?

flickr
QUOTE Thanks
bluefox9er

bluefox9er can only hope to improve

Quote:
Because Iphone/Ipad apps you have already bought are not included as part of the Mac App Store.

I dont have to buy an app I have on my Iphone on my Ipad.

I can do if I want an HD version but also have the option to run the Iphone version on the Ipad, but with the screen maximized.

Mac App Store doesn't have that option and if I want the App on my Mac I have to rebuy it regardless of whether I have it on my Iphone or Ipad.

If I am wrong on this someone please tell me as it would be good news as I am not paying to get the same piece of software for the third time.

totally agree that you have to pay multiple times for the same app just because you want to use it on a different bit of hardware, but then this is the apple tax we have to pay to be one of the cool kids in the class. Apple do not endear me in any way, shape or form as a company that has any intention but to over charge,over charge,over charge each and every opportunity they get.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ipod Music Quiz Game On Mac | Pages Help »