New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mac App Store Open, 10.6.6 Released

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac-P4c

mac-P4c is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.26Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GBHard drive. Totally Standard Macbook Pro 13"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMurder View Post
link?
I could also use it, if you shared the link

MacBook Pro 13" - Totally standard
QUOTE Thanks
Chris1111

Chris1111 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: I don't know

Colored Folder Creator on the Mac App Store
QUOTE Thanks
Wenfuli

Wenfuli is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, Lion, 3.06GHz Core i3, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive12 View Post

Mac App Store doesn't have that option and if I want the App on my Mac I have to rebuy it regardless of whether I have it on my Iphone or Ipad.

If I am wrong on this someone please tell me as it would be good news as I am not paying to get the same piece of software for the third time.
I would say that if you didn't have the app on your Mac before, you probably don't need to get it now just because it's available in the App Store. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to buy it.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygates View Post
Well, I'm just a little miffed that Steve-o-reno is forcing its prospective customers to upgrade to snow leopard in order to access the mac app store. Yes, $29 is a cheap price for the OS, but I don't ever recall them mentioning this requirement at any point before the grand opening. App store apps should have at least included all leopards, not just the snow ones. Pretty c.s. if you ask me. Just putting another wad of money in the Apple coffers. Aren't they rich enough yet?
Everything is forward moving. Leopard can't "keep up" with the Mac App Store. Just like only Intel Macs could install SL. It's called progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox9er View Post
totally agree that you have to pay multiple times for the same app just because you want to use it on a different bit of hardware, but then this is the apple tax we have to pay to be one of the cool kids in the class. Apple do not endear me in any way, shape or form as a company that has any intention but to over charge,over charge,over charge each and every opportunity they get.
If you purchase an app on an Android Phone and then want to use the same one on Cr-48 Chrome laptop, the wouldn't be compatible either. You'd have to get a computer specific app. You're talking 2 completely different types of apps here. Of course iOS apps won't work on Mac OSX!

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox9er View Post
totally agree that you have to pay multiple times for the same app just because you want to use it on a different bit of hardware, but then this is the apple tax we have to pay to be one of the cool kids in the class. Apple do not endear me in any way, shape or form as a company that has any intention but to over charge,over charge,over charge each and every opportunity they get.
Are you saying that having bought a new set of tyres for your motorbike that you shouldn't have to pay again when you want new tyres for your car?

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
LouieMac

LouieMac is on a distinguished road

Hi, I currently have OS X 10.5.8 on my MacBook. I tried the "Software Updates" feature to get 10.6.6 for the Mac App Store, but I receive a message that my computer is up-to-date.

Do I have to purchase the 10.6.6 version of Mac OS X 10.6.6? Why is it not in my Software Updates?

I support the idea of paying for Mac Apps, but I can't imagine why I would have to pay for 10.6.

Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieMac View Post
Hi, I currently have OS X 10.5.8 on my MacBook. I tried the "Software Updates" feature to get 10.6.6 for the Mac App Store, but I receive a message that my computer is up-to-date.

Do I have to purchase the 10.6.6 version of Mac OS X 10.6.6? Why is it not in my Software Updates?

I support the idea of paying for Mac Apps, but I can't imagine why I would have to pay for 10.6.

Thanks for any help.
Yes, 10.6.x is a NEW Mac OS. Leopard -> Snow Leopard. $29USD is a GREAT deal to upgrade your entire OS as opposed to what it cost to go from Win XP to Vista or to Win 7.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieMac View Post

Thanks for any help.

If you are currently running 10.5.8 then you need to purchase the $29 (if in the US) Snowleopard OS. This is a new OS. So you cant UPDATE to 10.6.6. from 10.5.8... They are 2 very different things !!!! Once you have the SL installed on your Mac then hit the Software Update and it will then give you the App store.

So yea you need the New SL OS to be able to access the new App Store ... No other way around it sorry ...

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
willygates

willygates is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Everything is forward moving. Leopard can't "keep up" with the Mac App Store. Just like only Intel Macs could install SL. It's called progression.
But snow leopard is only a tweaked version of leopard, with very little changes. Virutally EVERYTHING that runs on snow leopard runs just as well (if not better) on leopard. Hence the "leopard" part in both OS. And The app store is just an internet website where you buy applications. Nothing more. I'm not buying the "that's progress" excuse. The app store should be accessable to any machine running at least leopard. It's an OS that is only two years old in the first place.

When lion comes out am I supposed to again go out upgrade that so I can access that store? This is a snowjob, Steve Jobs.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygates View Post
I'm not buying the "that's progress" excuse. The app store should be accessable to any machine running at least leopard..

What everyone is forgetting or they just dont want to know is you dont have to have the App Store at all. Its just a gimmick IMO atm. IF you dont want it dont get it in the SU, and if you do want it, fork out the $29 and thats all it will cost you. Better off paying $29 now than having to fork out the $100+ for Lion when it hits the street.... Smart economic buying i reckon

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
What everyone is forgetting or they just dont want to know is you dont have to have the App Store at all. Its just a gimmick IMO atm.
Not to sure I'd go that far. How else would one be able to purchase apps for less than half of what the retail boxed versions are selling for?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Not to sure I'd go that far. How else would one be able to purchase apps for less than half of what the retail boxed versions are selling for?

Doug
Well im on SL and bc im over my monthly quota i am shaped to 256kb/s and i havnt done the update.
Which in turn means i havnt yet got the App Store on my Mac so i havnt been able to check it out at all.
I did read the8tharks post about the difference in the price of iLife from memory, and didnt really click that it extends to all other apps . . . .

I suppose calling it a gimmick wasnt the right thing but im still in the belief if you dont want it there is no need to get it.
Once my month rolls over ill update and check it out, then i wont be commenting on something i havnt got as yet

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Well im on SL and bc im over my monthly quota i am shaped to 256kb/s and i havnt done the update.
Which in turn means i havnt yet got the App Store on my Mac so i havnt been able to check it out at all.
I did read the8tharks post about the difference in the price of iLife from memory, and didnt really click that it extends to all other apps . . . .

I suppose calling it a gimmick wasnt the right thing but im still in the belief if you dont want it there is no need to get it.
Once my month rolls over ill update and check it out, then i wont be commenting on something i havnt got as yet
You don't have to get it in order to see what is offered. Just go to Apple's main site and look at the apps available thus far. They're not many at the moment, but you can see how much they cost if purchasing from the app store, and I'm going to say that it goes beyond opinion in stating that it's not a gimmick, and a much better deal to purchase a download from the app store as opposed to buying a boxed version of the same software for a few reasons:

1. Price. Aperture 3 sells for $200 in stores. You can get it for less than half that from the App store.

2. Licensing and serial number out of the way. You bought it, so you can install it on any of your registered computers. No serial needed.

3. After you purchase it, you don't need to keep the install file. Delete it and be happy in knowing that you can download it again and again from the app store whenever you want for free.

4. Eco-friendly packaging. Because there is none. Manuals can be downloaded. I'm very happy about this, personally speaking. You can read the manual on your phone, iPad, laptop or print it if you're that hard up for a hard copy. I love a physical medium for some things, but software isn't on the list of things.

Believe me, I'd be the first to agree or say that this was a gimmick. But I just don't see it that way. I think they're [Apple] doing a great thing here.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
trapeze

trapeze is on a distinguished road

Hmmm....

Well, I just used the Mac App Store for the first time yesterday and I thought it was okay, actually.

I needed a copy of Pages for my fairly new iMac and at first I was looking at having to purchase the iWork package. It was about $65 from Amazon but then I checked the App Store and discovered that I could buy just Pages for $20. Thought that was a pretty good deal.

Plus there are quite a few free apps that are quite good. And it's very convenient being able to download stuff right away compared with waiting for a shipment or driving to the store.

So...what's not to like?

Lifelong MS/PC user since 1984
Purchased first MacBook 11/17/2008
2.4gHz 2gRAM 250gb
I have burned the ships...there will be no return
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ipod Music Quiz Game On Mac | Pages Help »