New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iTunes as a 64bit Application ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Had Activity Monitor open just now, and gutted that Safari was taking up 896mb of memory (why) ?? lol and so i went down my list and quit Dashboard client (is there a way to permanently disable this) ?? and i noticed iTunes didnt have the 64bit next to it... Going further down the list i noticed that all other  Apps where working there guts out in 64Bit . . . . Why isnt iTunes a 64bit App as yet ?? or is it and then how do i start up iTunes as a 64bit App ???

Any ideas friends ?? And yea any idea on how to permanently disable Dashboard client, as i never use dashboard and dont really like it at all, so want to disable it . . . OR can i trash the whole Dashboard thing without stuffing up my machine... I mean is there anything in Dashboard if i trash it that has a coercetion with any other App or something in the system ??

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

My iTunes isn't 64 bit either.

Apple - Mac OS X - New technologies in Snow Leopard
Down at the bottom, check out - "All system applications except DVD Player, Front Row, Grapher, and iTunes have been rewritten in 64-bit."

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
My iTunes isn't 64 bit either.

Apple - Mac OS X - New technologies in Snow Leopard
Down at the bottom, check out - "All system applications except DVD Player, Front Row, Grapher, and iTunes have been rewritten in 64-bit."

Now what is there thinking on this then ?? Considering they bought in the 64bit for us and now there is those Apps are not in that mode.....

That doesnt really tell me much i didnt know apart from the Apps that are not written in 64bit . . . . .So looking for more answers

Dashboard client anyone ??

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
That doesnt really tell me much i didnt know apart from the Apps that are not written in 64bit . . . . .So looking for more answers
Not sure what else you're looking for...
It's not a 64 bit app so it won't run in 64 bitmode.
iTunes 9 still not 64-bit, internally referred to as “iTunes X”
Yes, it's from 09 but if you just Google it, nothing shows up regarding it being 64 bit or running it in 64 bit.

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Yea i know i understand all that and i did google it and all i got was what you got. Im trying to understand why it isnt 64bit yet and wanting more info as to when they look like making it 64bit and why they havnt yet.

Quote:
Not sure what else you're looking for...
Its not a End of the world question if i cant find a answer, but im always adding to my knowledge of Apple and Macs in general and i would like to find out why and when . . . . Because of the GOOGLE i have done and as you, bough up sweet FA i would like others opinion as to why they havnt implemented it as yet.

QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
Im trying to understand why it isnt 64bit yet and wanting more info as to when they look like making it 64bit and why they havnt yet.
i would like others opinion as to why they havnt implemented it as yet.
Well people can speculate all they want. Only people who work for Apple specifically on iTunes would be able to answer that.

I could say they don't want it to run 64 bit simply because they don't want to, or because they don't see a big reason to run 64 bit as their consumer base doesn't even notice it's not 64 bit.

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Yes yes yes ....... There are a cpl member in here that know the 64bit system like the back of there habd and i just thought they might have a inkling as to why it isnt in 64bit . . Coding?? or some other reason. One of these members even wrote a Sticky on it all (which im having trouble finding) and new his sh1t . . . He would have had some idea as to why it isnt in 64 bit .....
Im not asking anyone to speculate, im just trying to find out more info and as i said a member wrote a big sticky on it . . . .
Jusy looking for info or anything . . . .

Why is that so hard to understand .. ???

QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

I think this still works,
How to completely disable Dashboard

As for iTunes, yes it would have to be completely rewritten in cocoa. Right now it is written in Carbon which makes 64 bit virtually impossible.
64 bit - Why isn't iTunes 9 64-bit yet? - Super User
Why isn't iTunes 64 bit? - The macosxhints Forums

Interestingly enough Windows users do have a 64 bit iTunes, AFAIK

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
Why is that so hard to understand .. ???
What's the big deal with it running in 64 bit?
Does it do what you need it to do now?

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
What's the big deal with it running in 64 bit?
Does it do what you need it to do now?
LOL this is a joke .... *shakes head*

Yes it does work flawlessly and i have no problem with it.
Whats is your problem with me wanting to expand my knowledge and try and find out more information on a subject im not to sure on ??

Because you dont have a answer doesnt mean there isnt one . . . .

QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
LOL this is a joke .... *shakes head*

Yes it does work flawlessly and i have no problem with it.
Whats is your problem with me wanting to expand my knowledge and try and find out more information on a subject im not to sure on ??

Because you dont have a answer doesnt mean there isnt one . . . .
Ok so if it works who cares if it is 64 bit or not? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's fine to try to expand your knowledge, but if you look on Google (as posted twice in this thread) there is no answer. Who cares? Why must you know? Call Apple if you want the answer, don't post on forums with no Apple reps...

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
I think this still works,
How to completely disable Dashboard

As for iTunes, yes it would have to be completely rewritten in cocoa. Right now it is written in Carbon which makes 64 bit virtually impossible.
64 bit - Why isn't iTunes 9 64-bit yet? - Super User
Why isn't iTunes 64 bit? - The macosxhints Forums

Interestingly enough Windows users do have a 64 bit iTunes, AFAIK
OHHHH Thank you McYukon . . . Exactly what i was looking for. I did actually just find the 1st link you posted... literally 1 minute ago

And the other reason i was curious was hat Windows does have it in 64 bit . . . Very helpfull indeed

Double kudos to you too as i couldnt find anything on the Dashboard query, but once again you came through

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:

It's fine to try to expand your knowledge, but if you look on Google (as posted twice in this thread) there is no answer.
Wrong look at post #8 from McYukon

Quote:
Who cares?
I do

So get off your high horse and let me ask my bloody question

Quote:
Call Apple if you want the answer, don't post on forums with no Apple reps...
Umm and wouldnt this go for any thread in this forum ?? I do believe this is a Mac Forum ... I could be wrong though

That has to be the most ridiculous statement i have heard in a Mac Forum

QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:

And the other reason i was curious was hat Windows does have it in 64 bit . . . Very helpfull indeed
Another search on Goole comes up with this:
64Bit iTunes!!!!!....but not on a mac. - MacRumors Forums

If you read the posts, look @ post #2.
"If you think that the 64 version on Windows has true 64 bit support etc you are wrong. The 64 bit version only makes iTunes run on 64 bit systems without errors.. It doesn't get true 64 bit support, it is just as bloated as 32 bit version."

Hope your brain just grew 2cm.

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
Wrong look at post #8 from McYukon

I do

So get off your high horse and let me ask my bloody question
" really like Gruber's speculation" quoted from the reply

SPECULATION

ROFL
NOT FROM APPLE
JUST SAYING
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH NUFF SAID.

You get off your high horse please.
KTHANKS.

OH WAIT HERE'S MORE:
2) iTunes probably won't benefit much from it.

Point 2 is especially important. What would apple achieve by releasing a 64 bit version of iTunes? Currently, when I run iTunes, it consumes about 70 MB of RAM. It would take a lot for iTunes to require more than 4GB of RAM, that 64 bit addressing would give it. And even if it could, I really wouldn't want iTunes consuming 4GB of RAM. Then you could increase the speed of MP3 (AAC) encoding if it was 64 bit. But this stuff is pretty quick already. I think in most cases, it's limited by the speed of the CD drive you are ripping from, and not the speed of your processor. Movies and stuff play back just fine without skipping.

So, all I have to say is that it would be a lot of work, with no benefit, and nobody would even notice. We'd be much better off asking for 64-bit apps that matter like MS Office (outlook especially), and Visual Studio.

SPECULATION

The thing is, Apple is spread thin on a lot of projects: Mac OS, iPhone OS, MobileMe, iWork, iLife + all the hardware projects. For the moment, a 32-bit iTunes just works (barely, unfortunately, for me). You'll probably see a major redesign of iTunes with the next Mac OS iteration, when the OS will really be completely 64-bit.

PROBABLY
MEANS NOT GUARANTEED

SPECULATE SOME MORE!!!!!

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about iPhoto '11! | Cursor in Pages »