New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Memory App and External Memory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheBlkUmbrlaSoc

TheBlkUmbrlaSoc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Ok, Hello, I signed up on this website a long time ago and knew it would come in handy one day! Anyways, I was wondering if 1) there is a application out there that can pull up all your memory and tell you how much is used and what it's being used on. And 2) I have a WD Smartware Passport Essential SE and I was wondering if I could use it as an outside memory source, for example I could save my music on it then plug it in and play the music through iTunes. If i could do this easily and without having to write the music back onto my computer and then delete it all when im finished, Im trying to free up space on my MBP. Thank you for all advice or tips in advance as well as after you've replied.

TBUS

"Thief in Law", Clubs Above Spades, Улицы, 10 Звезда
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Just a clarification...you're not talking about "memory" (which is ram)...you're talking about "storage space"...which is what you find in a hard drive.

Hard drive "storage space" is NOT memory!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TheBlkUmbrlaSoc

TheBlkUmbrlaSoc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Just a clarification...you're not talking about "memory" (which is ram)...you're talking about "storage space"...which is what you find in a hard drive.

Hard drive "storage space" is NOT memory!

- Nick
Oh ok, yea cause isnt memory always the same? Anyways, do you know the answer to any of these questions?

"Thief in Law", Clubs Above Spades, Улицы, 10 Звезда
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlkUmbrlaSoc View Post
Anyways, I was wondering if 1) there is a application out there that can pull up all your memory and tell you how much is used and what it's being used on.
The Mac OS can do this...just click on your HD...and do a "command + i" & it will tell you how much is used/full. As far as "what it's used on"...I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Storage space is storage space...whether it's a word processing document, a video, an mp3, or a photo. It's up to you to organize your files in a manner that makes sense to you (in specially named folders for example). Then you do a "command + i" on the folder...and it will tell you how much is stored in the folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlkUmbrlaSoc View Post
And 2) I have a WD Smartware Passport Essential SE and I was wondering if I could use it as an outside memory source, for example I could save my music on it then plug it in and play the music through iTunes.
Sure you can.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question re: Mail program | Best Diagnostic Software for New Purchase »