New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

safari and pop ups

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

red milk

red milk is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB

my last thread was completely unsuccessful and no one helped, but maybe i'll be more lucky this time.

am i suffering from POP UPS. I KNOW. IT'S STRANGE. it never used to happen before but now it does. whyyyyyyyyyy.

help?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

command + K

should do the trick for ya, or click on safari and click block pop-up windows
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
red milk

you're kidding... RIGHT?

i am not THAT incompetent.
of course i have the option of blocking pop ups checked!!

dammit.

HELP.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You may be experiencing pop unders. That are windows that pop under your current window. I believe that none of the browsers out there, can prevent this.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by red milk
you're kidding... RIGHT?

i am not THAT incompetent.
of course i have the option of blocking pop ups checked!!

dammit.

HELP.
That is a completely inappropriate response. Consider this your last warning

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
snausages

snausages is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iBook 1.33GHz G4 14", 60GB, 768MB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

red milk,

Which websites do you visit that cause the popups?
QUOTE Thanks
iLEFTOVERCRACK

iLEFTOVERCRACK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb

no wonder anyone helped on your last post

i have no problem with pop-ups in safari...

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

A lot of people have tried to answer your question. There are a new kind of Pop Ups called Pop Unders as they pop up under the browser window and you see them later. Rman tried to point that out. So far I have found no browser that blocks all of them. I use both PC's and Macs with Windows and OSX and pretty much all popular browsers as I do Web Design, and in fact I have found Safari under Tiger to have less pop ups, whether on top or underneath than any of the other browsers. Firefox here does it more on either Windows or OSX than Safari with the sites I visit.

In time they will figure how to block some of the new Pop Unders, but for now I would say Safari does a better job than most.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Try. repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

offtopic: trpnmonkey, your avatar is kinda creeping me out....

on topic: wow.. poop - er i mean pop unders.. thats gotta get annoying
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Try. repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions
Ok you are officially the new mac-forums repair permissions robot...
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Ok you are officially the new mac-forums repair permissions robot...
I totally agree...

Repairing permissions (or zapping PRAM) DOES NOT help for all problems!
Especially in this case it's totally inapropriate, as it will not make Safari (or any other browser) block pop-unders...
QUOTE Thanks
red milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
That is a completely inappropriate response. Consider this your last warning
oh c'mon. i meant no harm with my response.
i didn't call him/her names or anything, right?
but ok, i will not show any emotion anymore, no problem!!

thanks for the replies, guys. they do appear under the window i am currently using.
they usually pop up (or actually under) at: www.isohunt.com or www.dictionary.com
sometimes they appear when i browse through some lyrics sites, too.

more and more, actually. very annoying indeed >_<
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I just tried those two sites on the latest Firefox on the PC. Firefox blocked the PopUP but not the Pop Under on www.isohunt.com.
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red milk
i will not show any emotion anymore, no problem!!
Emotion's good. Just don't bite people's heads off for trying to help you. I visited both sites you mentioned with Safari 2.0 and no pop-ups or unders. Try those sites with Camino or an alternative browser.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Virtual Screen Resolution | Does anyone have any good?... »