New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How do I find my TIF files within iPhoto?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pomology

pomology is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz 185 GB HD (don't ask, I can't explain!)

Hi folks,

I have some TIF files in iPhoto that need to go. How do I find them and delete them within iPhoto? They were downloaded as RAW files and the edits were saved as monster-sized TIF's.

I can find them in the finder (all 63 of them!), but the extension that comes up when I search for the same images in iPhoto is .NEF (the Nikon RAW extension), not .TIF.

Thanks in advance for your help,

pomology
QUOTE Thanks
pomology

Quick, important P.S.:

I need to delete the edited files without deleting the originals. Can this be done?
QUOTE Thanks
pomology

Grrrrrr.....

After weeks of trying to figure this out, I finally stumbled on a thread that answered my question in one sentence. Terence Devlin says: "If you use the Photos -> Revert to Original command the Modified version is destroyed."

I looked up all the TIF files in the Finder, then did a search for just one in iPhoto. When I followed the path specified, there was no option to "Revert to Original". So I typed "Revert to Original" into the Help menu, and what came up was that I have to select "Reprocess RAW" for RAW files.

Problem solved! Although now I have to locate each TIF file one at a time in the Finder, then go back to iPhoto and do a search for it there in order to remove it. Thank God there are only 63!
QUOTE Thanks
shades

shades is a jewel in the roughshades is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB

I commend you for coming back and telling others how you resolved this. Well done.

Mellel 3, NWP 2, Scrivener 2.3.1, Tinderbox 5.11.2
LibreOffice 3.6, Accordance 10.0, Adobe CS4, DTP 2.4.3
OS X 10.8.2
QUOTE Thanks
pomology

Thanks, shades!

I just finished deleting every last unnecessary TIF file. I checked the file size from the Finder as I was looking them up by filename in iPhoto. They were anywhere from 13 to 49 MB! Most were around 40 MB. Many of those were merely cropped - few or no other edits had been made in many cases. I couldn't believe that just cropping a photo and saving it as a TIF would produce such ridonculously large files! And the stupid thing is, I did it just as an experiment! Well, never again will I tick the "Save RAW edits as 16-bit TIFF files" box again, unless I actually need a 16-bit TIFF file!

Now if I could only figure out how to automatically display file sizes in the Finder....
QUOTE Thanks
pomology

Oh, good grief! All I had to do was expand the window to the right in list view??? REALLY???
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« GarageBand update & iMovie 9.0.1 | VOB Burns »