New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iCal - To do Recurrence: is it possible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hknoener

hknoener is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook White Unibody 2,4Ghz

I'm trying to use the tasks part of iCal, To Do, instead of using the Outlook one (i'm coming from an Windows Desktop, that i used with Outlook for a long time) and had some problem. One of the MOST dumb one that i would prefer to think that i'm just not found this yet is this: the recurrence.

How can i create a To do item and then make it occur again in, for example, next month? Or every month?

Macbook White Unibody 2,4Ghz
- HD WD 500gb
- 4Gb RAM - Kingston
- Magic Mouse (Genius!)
QUOTE Thanks
yemilipede

yemilipede is an unknown at this point

You have to Edit the task, under repeat you'll find different options for repeating.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

You can also once set up click the task and copy it (right click) and then go to what ever date you want and paste it in . . . . Should work OK if its for certain days and not like a month or week at a time

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
hknoener

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemilipede View Post
You have to Edit the task, under repeat you'll find different options for repeating.
Sorry, but where is this option? On the "edition mode" of To do Items, i don't have anything about repeat, only on appointment.

Quote:
You can also once set up click the task and copy it (right click) and then go to what ever date you want and paste it in . . . . Should work OK if its for certain days and not like a month or week at a time

Cheers
Yeah, but it's the same thing that i create every task i need. For that i don't need the tasks if i need to remember to create all the task-group. In that case i try not forget to duplicate the task as soon as i complete it. It's not practical, but works. But, as i say, the Tasks from Outlook, for example, are a lot better than this one. Even the Google Tasks, on site, is better than this one of Mac. But i'll be ok with that if just have the recurrence "technology".

- HD WD 500gb
- 4Gb RAM - Kingston
- Magic Mouse (Genius!)
QUOTE Thanks
hknoener

Well, i found a solution. Not in iCal, but using a third-part program: Things. Until now i'm very satisfied about it. It's not cheap, at least i don't think so, but is really simple, practical, etc.

- HD WD 500gb
- 4Gb RAM - Kingston
- Magic Mouse (Genius!)
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hknoener View Post
Well, i found a solution. Not in iCal, but using a third-part program: Things. Until now i'm very satisfied about it. It's not cheap, at least i don't think so, but is really simple, practical, etc.
Care to share ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hknoener View Post
But iCal will do what you want, and you already have it. Maybe somebody will post an image from iCal for you... hint, hint (I don't do images)
QUOTE Thanks
hknoener

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Care to share ??
Couse, it's here: Things - task management on the Mac

toMACsh, honestly? In To Do part of iCal? I'm not talking about the appointments. I'll love to see where you found it.

- HD WD 500gb
- 4Gb RAM - Kingston
- Magic Mouse (Genius!)
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

No, not in To Do, in Calendars. Why must it be in the To Do list?
QUOTE Thanks
hknoener

Simple: because i want to repeat Tasks, not appointments! Tasks and Appointments, at least to me, is very differente, that's why i can't create an appointment instead of a to do/task item.

- HD WD 500gb
- 4Gb RAM - Kingston
- Magic Mouse (Genius!)
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

An iCal calendar can do tasks and appointments. You can create calendars. Name one Tasks and one Appointments. I have Payment, ALert/Urgent, B'day/Annniv., To Do, and Trivia calendars. Each is a different color on the calendar. Don't get hung up on that and let it stop you from using iCal to do exactly what you want it to do, just in a different "area" than you envisioned.

I don't understand the last part of your post. You can't create an appointment?

Does the "snooze" feature help you? I'm not sure how long you can make it "sleep", or whether that would be saved through a Restart. That won't get you a "repeat every month" of course. You'd have to "reset" it every time.
QUOTE Thanks
hknoener

toMACsh, i now understand what you're talking about. And, yeah, thanks for the help, it could be useful. But the problem is that is not the same as a task/to do. I could, of course, figure something out, to help it, but it's more easily, for example, use the To Do and make a copy every month/week/year/etc than use the appointments for somethings.

For example: in appointments, you can't see what you've already done and what you still need to do. Yeah, of course, can arrange for it, but it's an arrangement.

I sync my calendars with Google. The only reason i don't care that much using another program is that google still don't have sync for tasks. So, if i use iCal or another program for it will be the same. When google do the sync for tasks to, and create a decent way for doing tasks as well, i'll, for sure, make the sync. But, for now, if i return to iCal i'll use the To Do list the same way i was doing the last days, before Things came up.

- HD WD 500gb
- 4Gb RAM - Kingston
- Magic Mouse (Genius!)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac AppStore Login | iDisk sync hangs multiple times on the same few files »