New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Burner Unrecognized

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pennysworth

pennysworth is on a distinguished road

The migration problems from my PC continue. Attempts to burn DVDs and CDs fail because, the error screen says, the attempt failed to find the burner.

When I key System Preferences I don't see the burner listed. Should I or is that symptomatic of the problem?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Are you using an external burner?

Why not the superdrive your computer comes with?
And if you are using an external burner, are you using a disc that is supported by it?

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
pennysworth

No. Not an external drive. It's the original. It plays but it does not burn.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Which Mac do you have? Does it have a Superdrive(DVD/CD writer) or Combidrive(CD writer)? What are you trying to burn, and how are you trying to do it?
QUOTE Thanks
pennysworth

It's an iMac 3.2 with a superdrive (I guess). Trying to burn home made video to play on my DVD player/TV.

FYI: I'm also working in a virtual Parallels environment and the burner won't work in there either.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Sure sounds like the burner has failed. Under AppleCare by any chance?

If not you may like to try one of the commercial lens cleaning kikt.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pennysworth

No but the puter is under warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Are you trying to access the burner in OSX? Do you have Parallels running at the time the burner does not show up?
QUOTE Thanks
pennysworth

Both OS. Different burn apps; several different apps in OSX. Same result.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Reason I asked is that some members here have said they could not access their burner in OSX when Parallels was running.
QUOTE Thanks
pennysworth

Hmmm. I don't know, frankly. I can tell you that with Parallels running and trying to burn in OSX I get nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Try disabling Parallels and see if the burner shows in OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
pennysworth

Here's an update. The burn was successful but it still not play on my external DVD player. It did however playback on the Mac.

Clearly I need to find a converter/burner to give me a VOB file to play. Any suspect apps out there?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

How did you get the burner going in OSX? Was it Parallels?

What application did you use to make your DVD?
QUOTE Thanks
pennysworth

No, the Mac. A search presented a couple that said they could burn VOB: Kigo Video Converter and Free-DVD-Ripper. Neither did. Frankly the more the try to adapt to this new environment the less I seem to know about the burning process. Why should I be having such problems here? I guess I was spoiled by DVDFlick which converts and burns in one operation. I haven't been able to find anything similar in a Mac environment.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AVI to Mpeg4 | Sparse Disk Image to save iTunes content? »