New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Structural Analysis software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wkheathjr

wkheathjr is on a distinguished road

I am new to Mac as of a month- jumped the Window ship for Mac- and I am looking for freeware or affordable Structural Analysis software that can help me to calculate and determine whether the load, force, shear, bending, etc is safe or not.

I am trying to design my home building a Timber Frame(TF) house and I am using Sketchup8 with TF rubies but I still need to calculate whether my design is safe before I can actually implement the design.

Any help or advice is much appreciated! I already tried googling it up with no luck. I found one on OpenSource but the software was more of input the number to get the result and it doesn't have graph/chart output which can be an issue when presenting my work to the Engineer in order to obtain the stamp on my plan. I would prefer to show the graph/chart of the load so it will save time since most Engineer charges $100 an hour.

Again, thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
knebme

knebme is on a distinguished road

Did you ever find some good open source or free Structural Analysis software for Mac OS X?
QUOTE Thanks
wkheathjr

wkheathjr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knebme View Post
Did you ever find some good open source or free Structural Analysis software for Mac OS X?
No, I haven't and sure wish I could!
QUOTE Thanks
knebme

knebme is on a distinguished road

You might want to have a look at the archives at Mailing List Archives

Search for a few different terms I saw go by, eg. FEM, finite element, computational fluid dynamics, physics simulations
There have been some recommendations on the list, i haven't looked in any depth tho.

And check this out:
List of finite element software packages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let us know if you find anything good.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Office Communicator 2011 | Keyboard shortcut to activate Excel cell for editing »