New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Which is better between VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fdcampbell16

fdcampbell16 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks

I have heard bad things about Parallels, particularly that it is really slow, but it's been a while ago. I see that Parallels Desktop has a new version out that's saying it runs 40% faster than the previous version. I have never used it.

I have used VMware Fusion before, but ever since upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard, I haven't gotten my hands on a copy of VMware Fusion that is compatible for Snow Leopard. However, now that I'm reading up on Parallels and how its website is saying it is faster than VMware Fusion and more people prefer it, I don't know what to think.

Has anyone tried both of them who can tell me which one is faster and/or better? Thanks!

- Currently using a MacBook Pro running OS X Mavericks
- syncs with iPhone 5S, iPod Touch, and iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Dont use them myself, but have a look at Head-to-Head: Parallels Desktop for Mac vs. VMware Fusion ~ MacTech

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

+1 to that review.
I used it and opted for Parallels in the end, because I like the look and the way it integrates, but there little between them really.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

I tried them both and I tried to remove them both. They both integrated well but I found the removal process especially if you integrated to a boot camp partition really didn't go over well. It messed up my windows installations on my bootcamp partition greatly then I ended up having to delete those partitions and re-install windows. Personally I just go with Boot-Camp built in from the get go as running natively is so much better then virtual. But if you do decide on one of them I'd recommend not using a boot camp partition and selecting integration into it. I'd just create an image and run off of that from my own personal experience.

I also found both of them to perform around the same. I guess it really depends on what programs you are trying to run. If your trying to game boot-camp built in is the only way to go as virtual will lack in performance in pretty much all aspects as to natively.

Show some Love give Reputation Reputation FAQ
QUOTE Thanks
cjcoops

cjcoops will become famous soon enough

I tried out VMware - was very good, but just stuck with Bootcamp.

Have since installed Virtual box, freeware virtualisation from Sun - and it's excellent, and free.
So, well 'worth' trying out first - seriously, very impressive.

Coops
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Nice review link. Of course nothing stands still in the computing world. The review compares Parallels 4 vs. VMware Fusion 2...Parallels is now up to version 6...and VMware Fusion is up to version 3.

So maybe each product has gotten better.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Both Parallels and VMWare Fusion have trials (14-day I believe) that you can download and try it out for yourself.

I opted just to stick with VirtualBox which works fine for my occasional need to run Linux on my iMac..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcoops View Post
I tried out VMware - was very good, but just stuck with Bootcamp.

Have since installed Virtual box, freeware virtualisation from Sun - and it's excellent, and free.
So, well 'worth' trying out first - seriously, very impressive.

Coops
So, I am trying to get things going with VirtualBox, only I am at the step where it asks me to "Create new hard disk" or "Use existing hard disk." I have already partitioned my drive with Boot Camp. If I click "Create new hard disk," is it going to partition another drive, or will it let me use Boot Camp by clicking the "Use existing hard disk?" Or is this option having nothing to do with partitioning at all and I am just panicking?

I don't want to mess up my precious MacBook, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. I'd rather ask a stupid question than f*** up my prized possession.

Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I don't believe VB allows you to use your Bootcamp partition for your VM disk. I could be wrong though. VB doesn't partition your disk. VMs run off a disk image which is basically a big file. Your disk doesn't get chopped up into discrete bootable sectors.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

I have now downloaded and installed VirtualBox and am running Windows virtually, FOR FREE. Yay!! Thanks for all your help!

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

For most Windows apps and as long as you don't need to use your BC partition as a VM, VirtualBox works well enough.

BTW, VMWare Fusion has a special going on right now. You pay only $9.99 for the latest version, however, you must have either a previous version of Fusion or Parallels to be eligible for the purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / 2014 MacBook Air i5 11" / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
BTW, VMWare Fusion has a special going on right now. You pay only $9.99 for the latest version, however, you must have either a previous version of Fusion or Parallels to be eligible for the purchase.
Superb, bought and downloaded as soon as I read this. Thanks !

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Thanks for that Charlie .... But im a bit weirded out by it all, bc as i was reading the words "$9.99 for latest version" i received a email informing me of just this.....
Ill be buying it now just bc of this lol OMEN ?? or not ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Buy it. No evil omens that I know of. Besides, you can probably find an out of work Witch Doctor down there who will do an exorcism for you.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I actually switched about a year ago from Parallels to Fusion. As others have stated, they perform about the same, but the big difference to me is in support and the other soft benefits.

Parallels support, really, is subpar at best. VMWare has a much more robust support structure, not to mention they're a huge company supporting the virtualization needs of corporations as well as Fusion which makes me feel more secure about their long-term future.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« image search / click | X-Win32 »