New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Can anyone tell me how to remove GoToMyPC software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bgoetting

bgoetting is on a distinguished road

I beta tested Gotomypc for Mac and got a year of free service which I rarely used. Now my account has expired but the software is still running on my iMac, with the "My PC" logo in the upper right corner of my screen. I want to remove the software but it's not located in the applications folder. Their website says to begin the uninstall process by logging into their website and deleting my computer from my account. Since my account is not active, it diverts me to a page asking for my credit card number to reactivate my account. Anyone know how I can get this program off my Mac???
I thought software games like this ended years ago. Citrix sucks!

Bgoetting@aol.com
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Welcome to Mac-Forums

First thing to try is to look in System Preferences for options for the application. If it is there, there might even be an unistall option.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And if you are un able to find the uninstaller, download AppTrap and activate that and drag to trash.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Those same directions also state to remove the application just like any other once you have removed the computer from the gotomypc account.

Have not used it myself, but best I found - looks like Buzzard is correct - it's options are in System Preferences. Would guess that is where it would have it's uninstaller. If you've already removed some portion of it without using the uninstaller, you may need to download it, re-install first, then run the uninstaller.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DiverDown

DiverDown is on a distinguished road

Finally, I got that D--- GTMPc pop up off my MAC. It was in fact in "preferences" and I was able to delete there. Thanks for the tip.
QUOTE Thanks
rgr8house

rgr8house is on a distinguished road

If you are like me and years ago deleted GoToMyPC from the applications folder but still see the GTPC in your menu bar here's how I got rid of it. Open your startup drive, open System folder, open Library folder, open LaunchAgents folder. Look for file named "com.citrixonline.GoToMyPC.LaunchAgent.plist" Trash it! Restart and it's gone!!!!! Well at least the icon is gone.

The activity monitor still shows 3 items running that I think are GoToMyPC elements. g2p_commagenthost, g2p_launcherhost and g2p_security host. Now if I could only find how those are getting launched.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

When using the drag to the trash method of removing an app that came with it's own installer and you're now stuck with some of it's parts still launching...

You need to reinstall the app and use the uninstaller provided by the app.
In the case of GTMPC, after you have reinstalled it, you will open System Preferences, find it's icon there and then use it's uninstaller.

Any app that uses an installer to place items in the OS X system folders, you cannot remove that app by just dragging the app icon to the trash.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iwork trial problem | Adium Chat Logs Location? »