New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Does Microsoft Office for Mac Play Nice?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bluebelle

bluebelle is on a distinguished road

I hope I've managed to put this in the right place... I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Switcher Hangout.

I'm seriously considering buying a mac off of ebay but the guy selling it claims in the description that any files created in MS Office for Mac are completely unworkable if opened with a PC. Since I'm a student creating files that are PC friendly is a must since I don't really want to have to switch back to my PC whenever I need to do something for school.

I have a feeling this guy is pretty negative about anything made by Microsoft - he has a bit of a mini-rant about them in the description - and I have my doubts that a mac version of the software would even exist if it didn't creates files that were compatible with PCs but I want to be sure before I buy.

In summary (since I can't seem to get to the point ): Can files (in particular Word files) created with MS Office for Mac be opened in the PC version of the software without any problems?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.5 & iPad - iOS 5.1

I am using MS Office for Mac and there are no compatibility issues with the Windows version of Office ..... Use it every day.

I used to use OpenOffice for 2 years and that is also pretty compatible with MS Office, except for a couple of tricks in Excel..... that is why I went for the MS Office version for Mac.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

The Mac version of MS Office is completely compatible with the Windows version. The guy is either lying or just doesn't know how to use his machine.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I have a feeling this guy is pretty negative about anything made by Microsoft - he has a bit of a mini-rant about them in the description - and I have my doubts that a mac version of the software would even exist if it didn't creates files that were compatible with PCs but I want to be sure before I buy.
You might mention to him that Microsoft was programming Office applications for the Mac before Windows - which came later. As you've been advised already, MS Office 2011 for the Mac is 100% compatible with the current Windows version(s). I have both Office 2011 and 2010 and routinely interchange documents and templates.
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

fdcampbell16 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks

Yes. The only advice I would give is that if you are planning to use Word documents created in Office for Mac on a Windows PC, I would save them as .doc and not .docx.

- Currently using a MacBook Pro running OS X Mavericks
- syncs with iPhone 5S, iPod Touch, and iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdcampbell16 View Post
Yes. The only advice I would give is that if you are planning to use Word documents created in Office for Mac on a Windows PC, I would save them as .doc and not .docx.

Actually with 2011 it seems to be fully compatible. At least what I have seen so far.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdcampbell16 View Post
Why do you save that? I've had no problem saving as docx with Windows compatibility.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

There were a few issues between the two (spacing and margin problems) when you moved from a Mac to Windows but that was resolved via a patch. Gave me a bit of a fit with a paper I had to turn in. That being said, it was resolved via a patch.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will Civ V run on 10.5.8 | Keynote BGCompatibility plugin issue »